Fleuri
Topic Author

Are starting attributes final?

Tue 25 Sep 2018, 18:09

The way I understood the rules, the starting attributes (or at least their maximum value, I know they can take damage) for PCs never change. They can't be improved via spending experience points, nor can they be lowered. The maximum value for an attribute is 6 if the player chooses a kin and profession which have the same key attribute. 

Is this correct?

Rymdhamster

Re: Are starting attributes final?

Tue 25 Sep 2018, 18:19

Yupp, right on the money.

Fenhorn

Tue 25 Sep 2018, 18:20

Attributes can be lowered with age. This normally doesn't happen very often but it can with the spell Weight of Ages (Death Magic). So if you character changes age group he will loose one attribute point.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Fleuri
Topic Author

Tue 25 Sep 2018, 18:33

Attributes can be lowered with age. This normally doesn't happen very often but it can with the spell Weight of Ages (Death Magic). So if you character changes age group he will loose one attribute point.
Does he gain a talent then?

oneone78

Tue 25 Sep 2018, 18:46

what if a character with 2 strength hits the gym for while? or does that just allow an increase to their might?

Rymdhamster

Tue 25 Sep 2018, 18:53

Aha loophole! Always start as old!
(Or do you just die then, maybe =D )

Rasmus

Tue 25 Sep 2018, 18:54

During special circumstances, I would allow a shift from one attribute to another. One year in the slave pit - increase strenght and lower charisma.

Fenhorn

Tue 25 Sep 2018, 18:56

Does he gain a talent then?
No. Talents and skill points are learned with experience (points). If a character really changes age group naturally he have hopefully done so gaining experience points.

@Rymdhamster: According to the WoA spell you die when you hit double the maximum age for adult (100 for humans).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Rymdhamster

Tue 25 Sep 2018, 18:57

what if a character with 2 strength hits the gym for while? or does that just allow an increase to their might?
I kind of like that this isn't a possibility (with the rules as written, that is). The characters are supposed to go adventure, not going to the gym!
(Although I have toyed around with the idea of having 1 movable ability point, that can represent what you have been focusing on latley, unclear on when and how often this could be moved. Maybe after each winter downtime).

Seansicle

Fri 28 Sep 2018, 07:19

In my game, I accommodated this sort of play style with some custom mechanics.

There are three ways I allow my players to increase their Attributes(once per attribute):

Awakening: High time investment, results in the player gaining a permanent +1 to the relevant Attribute. If the player spends a lot of their Journey actions reading  ancient tomes, honing their skills sparring against a heroic NPC, etc, they eventually receive a 1-time Awakening to the relevant Stat.

Blessing: High resource investment, results in a temporary +1 to a relevant Attribute. Sacrifice a masterly crafted artifact beneath Huge's light to receive his Blessing for a week, that sort of thing.

Corruption: High cost, results in a permanent +1 to a relevant Attribute. For the players that want to drink Demon's blood and fornicate with the Nightwalker. This one comes with a mostly narrative price that you can repeatedly hammer them on whenever something goes wrong.

If you run your game for power-gamers that want to Min-Max their Attributes, just trickle out opportunities for the above so that they don't run rampant (like dispensing Magic items).