The1TrueFredrix
Topic Author

Goblin night vision and daylight disadvantage.

Fri 21 Sep 2018, 21:10

In the Gamemasters Guide we learn “that goblins have night vision, and suffer one point of damage to agility every quarter day if daylight, which players of goblin characters might want to know.
” There in no mention of this in the Players Handbook. Does it not apply to PCs?
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Fenhorn

Re: Goblin night vision and daylight disadvantage.

Fri 21 Sep 2018, 22:26

Why shouldn't it apply to PCs. I think either FL didn't want it to be common knowledge. There might be groups out there that doesn't want to have goblins as a playable kin or (more likely I think), since the goblin kin was the last one to be playable, they didn't thought about the ability (it is the only kin with a special ability).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Röteborgaren

Fri 21 Sep 2018, 23:34

I'm houseruling that goblins see in daylight as if it was dark, I think that tradeoff is more interesting and easier to keep track of than the periodic damage. And it still makes sense. I've also discussed it with my players, and all of them have supported this ruling, one of which is playing a Goblin.
Resources for Forbidden Lands
Slumpgen NPC Generator for Android (EN, SE)
Collection of Houserules (EN, SE)
Fobbot the Discord Dice Bot (EN, SE)

Fenhorn

Sat 22 Sep 2018, 00:13

I think that is a very good houserule that I might use myself.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Rasmus

Tue 25 Sep 2018, 00:05

I'm using a similar houserule. Goblins treat night as day and vice versa. Additionally, I let a few of them see in pitch blackness. They are "born under a dark moon" or such, and are damaged by sunlight. 

Rymdhamster

Tue 25 Sep 2018, 15:58

I would probably give the player a choice: do you want to be aclimatized to daylight, and suffer no penalty (and not have night vision), or do you want night vision and suffer the penalty?
Does any of the other kinds have rules like this? Elves or orcs or something?