smalltooth
Topic Author

Backpack, quiver, waterskin and encumbrance

Sun 16 Sep 2018, 17:29

Hello,
Could someone give me some clarification on the use of backpack, quiver, waterskin ?
By the rules every consumable is treated as having an encumbrance of one regular item.
When looking at the equipment page, it is said that waterskin, quiver, backpack does not encumber the wearer.
Does that mean that arrows transported in a quiver does not encumber you ? Or those items have no mechanical effect ?

Eldhierta

Re: Backpack, quiver, waterskin and encumbrance

Sun 16 Sep 2018, 20:11

Hello,
Could someone give me some clarification on the use of backpack, quiver, waterskin ?
By the rules every consumable is treated as having an encumbrance of one regular item.
When looking at the equipment page, it is said that waterskin, quiver, backpack does not encumber the wearer.
Does that mean that arrows transported in a quiver does not encumber you ? Or those items have no mechanical effect ?
I think that those containers count as prerequisites for carrying said items. I mean, water is kind of hard to carry without a container, right? And carrying a bunch of arrows without a quiver soon becomes cumbersome. At least that is my interpretation :)

Fenhorn

Sun 16 Sep 2018, 20:53

Each waterskin can contain one resource dice of water (or wine/ale if you are rich). The waterskin itself doesn't weigh anything but if it contains water (d6 to d12) it has a weight of one. A quiver can carry one resource dice of arrows. If you carry more arrows (more resource dice) they will weigh one for each up to d12 arrows you have. Arrows that you have elsewhere (not in a quiver) will probably take longer to "draw". The backpack doesn't weigh anything but without it it can be problematic to actually carry your gear at all. So a character without a backpack or sack, can't carry more items (except for tiny things perhaps) than they can carry in their two hands. I don't see any use of two backpacks or sacks.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

mafusael

Thu 07 Feb 2019, 03:14

In my playing group we use these homerules for that:

- Characters starting with no backpack and waterskin - they have sack and Clay Jug only to keep their stuff and water
- Contaners are WATERSKIN for WATER, QUIVER for ARROWS, BACKPACK for TOURCHES (and other stuff), FOOD BAG (8 copper) for FOOD
- Containers are LIGHT items and RESOURSE have 0 weight in it, also this proper packing gives D4 dice after failing D6 RESOURSE dice
Custom GM Screen and Character Sheet for FbL
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NTsVe ... YaBTUd9Rau