Fleuri
Topic Author

PCs crafting their own alcohol

Tue 11 Sep 2018, 14:44

Hi,

In my upcoming campaign one player would like to have his goblin character to brew their own alcohol (Something like pruno or similar) but there are no crafting rules for making alcohol in the book, nor is there that many rules regarding drinking. We thought that alcohol could be counted as some sort of a mild poison with potency of 1 and with a risk of getting inebriated or worse it could sate the thrist like ale or wine. Crafting pruno wouldn't require much: Water (Rolling the water dice as normal) and berries, fruit or similar. We could assume, that yeast gets somehow added automatically. How does this idea sound to you?

I'm not calling for extensive alcohol crafting rules, but I liked this idea of a character quirk.

Fenhorn

Re: PCs crafting their own alcohol

Tue 11 Sep 2018, 15:25

If any of my players would like to make his own wine I would probably make it a function. The same concept as your idea but perhaps a bigger scale (i.e. brewery).

When it comes to the effect of alcohol, I wants to keep it simple. In MYZ you can drink one "dose" of alcohol and you temporary recover one point of trauma to strength and empathy immediately but you also get one point of trauma to wits. The strength and empathy trauma that you temporary recovered will return after d6 hours (the trauma to your wits stays until it is recovered normally by sleep).

For FbL, I will probably do the same. If a player drinks one "dose" of wine they temporary recover one point of damage to strength and empathy but take one point of damage to wits. The points recovered will return after one quarterday and all damage, including the newly taken wits damage is recovered in the normal way (eating, drinking and sleep). I think I will use the resource dice system for "dose". So if a player wants to fill up an extra waterskin with wine for example, they pay 4 copper per resource dice steps (so 16 copper for a full wineskin). The wine can also be used instead of water if needed). This is my first (untested) thoughts about this.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Fleuri
Topic Author

Tue 11 Sep 2018, 18:39

Thank you Fernhorn for your suggestion! I haven't played MYZ so I wouldn't have known about its rule. Filling an extra waterskin with wine sounds like a great idea!

Bluecat

Mon 17 Sep 2018, 10:05

Short suggestion from a brewer:

ingredients:
  • wines and wine like fruit drinks: fruit press to get juice or simply mash the beries by any means
  • Meads: honey and spices
  • Beer / Ale: malts (needs grain for malting), water, gruit and or hops. Gruit = spice mix for spicing ale
  • Main equipment: brewing vessels like mashing & lautering tun for ale making, fermenting vessels for all sort of brews.
Since yeast was discovered quite late in real history, I would reserve actual yeast "goody good stuff" as special ingredient giving +1 roll for end result. Every brew can be fermented with natural wild yeasts and thus separate yeast is not really needed, but you get better results when you have proper strains available. Also means to sanitize your equipment in some way, boiling maybe or alchemist given "cleaning potion" or something would get you 1+ to result roll. 

Simple yet quite true to real brewing :)

Fleuri
Topic Author

Tue 25 Sep 2018, 07:06

Short suggestion from a brewer:

ingredients:
  • wines and wine like fruit drinks: fruit press to get juice or simply mash the beries by any means
  • Meads: honey and spices
  • Beer / Ale: malts (needs grain for malting), water, gruit and or hops. Gruit = spice mix for spicing ale
  • Main equipment: brewing vessels like mashing & lautering tun for ale making, fermenting vessels for all sort of brews.
Since yeast was discovered quite late in real history, I would reserve actual yeast "goody good stuff" as special ingredient giving +1 roll for end result. Every brew can be fermented with natural wild yeasts and thus separate yeast is not really needed, but you get better results when you have proper strains available. Also means to sanitize your equipment in some way, boiling maybe or alchemist given "cleaning potion" or something would get you 1+ to result roll. 

Simple yet quite true to real brewing :)
This is great! Thank you for your input!