Klas
Topic Author

Too many WP

Sun 26 Aug 2018, 23:47

Heya

We seem to use a play style that is different from what FL intended or anticipated, but anyway: My players tend to rack up more WP than they can spend. This despite me holding back on skill use to reduce the opportunities to push rolls. I am tempted to house rule it that general talents should also cost WP to use (= level of talent). E.g. AMBIDEXTROUS lvl 3 would cost 3 WP to activate for one round of combat. Is anyone else entertaining similar ideas?

(The way we play the game is oriented toward digging into the setting's mysteries and solving social conflicts between NPCs or factions. Our sessions usually involve some element of deadly conflict but apparently we are just not fighting enough to make good use of WP.)

Seansicle

Re: Too many WP

Fri 28 Sep 2018, 07:04

I too had this problem when my Beta campaign began, primarily with my non-caster players(the Druid and Sorcerer cherish their every opportunity to gain and spend Willpower). I was under the impression that every Talent would require Willpower to be spent at the outset, so it was certainly a surprise to find so many that didn't.

The solutions I have found to this "problem" are twofold:

1. I introduced a rule that any player can purchase any number of Black dice, and add them to a roll at the cost of 2 WP per die. In this way, failures, or partial failures (in the form of skulls) lend themselves to future success. Because the players are purchasing Black dice, the roll also becomes more dangerous to push, which works thematically as using WP to purchase dice is almost as if a player is steeling themselves to the task, potentially allowing for greater injury if they push themselves too hard.

2. Magical items. Magic users seem to burn through WP pretty quickly in my experience, so just give your players things that require WP to activate. I love the Forking-awesome trident in the  Spire of Quetzel adventure about thunder lizards. It eats all of your Willpower to activate, and deals damage per WP spent in a hail of lightning. Problem solved, no more WP!

Fenhorn

Fri 28 Sep 2018, 08:10

We didn't have this problem in my group. Some kin/profession combination in a group where they didn't fit in can of course constantly have 10 WPs. My players didn't want me to have tons of WP (the GM starts a session with WP equal to what the players have) and I use them (if I can). I think the best medicin for this is for the GM to use all the WPs that he got. Everything from evil sorcerers that can cast a lot of spells to the peddler that uses the talent Path of the Gold against the player that was about to sell the valuable vase to him (se the peddler only pays 1/5 of what its worth).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

LupNi

Fri 28 Sep 2018, 09:09

Seansicle's houserule seems fine, I'd consider using it if that problem arises in my game. Here's another possibility, a bit more narrative in style (reminiscent of Fate and Genesys):
When the GM describes a new scene, or when a combat starts, players can spend 1 WP to describe a detail in the scene that could be useful to them. GM has the final veto, details shouldn't be too powerful: a chandelier to swing from is fine, a big pile of powder kegs in a corner probably isn't.

Rasmus

Fri 28 Sep 2018, 09:28

I am tempted to house rule it that general talents should also cost WP to use
I also entertained this idea. Manily because I like the fact that WPs are limited, which allows for cool talents but stops them from being used every roll/round in a repetitive fashion. I’m currently going with the rules as written, with a few rewrites/alterations to the general talents to make sure they wont push players towards doing the exact same thing every round (since they’re free). I also share your particular concern since I have a big group and the WPs quickly add up.
I introduced a rule that any player can purchase any number of Black dice, and add them to a roll
I introduced the same thing in MYZ and it worked really well.
I think the best medicin for this is for the GM to use all the WPs that he got. Everything from evil sorcerers that can cast a lot of spells to the peddler that uses the talent Path of the Gold against the player that was about to sell the valuable vase to him (se the peddler only pays 1/5 of what its worth).
This is good advice! I like it because it pushes me to gamemaster in a way I perhaps wouldn’t normaly do, and it keeps the players on their toes. I like this game because the story isn’t pre-planned, it will often suprise me as well as the players. This ”rule of thumb” will in a way add to it. I’ll write ”Remember to spend ALL your WPs” on my notebook from now on. :)

Klas
Topic Author

Sat 10 Nov 2018, 23:48

I still haven't been able to decide what to do with this, mainly because circumstances forced a lengthy hiatus from actual game play. The suggestions are good though. Especially the last one. I'll try harder to use up all GM WP every session and see how that plays out before house ruling anything.

RenoGM

Sun 11 Nov 2018, 02:54

I'm not familiar with the other games that use the Year Zero system, but do they have anything like Willpower? And if so, how is it managed in those games?

Rymdhamster

Tue 13 Nov 2018, 11:49

Our GM introduced a house rule saying you can spend 2 WP to reroll one die that sees a lot of use. It let's you reroll that one that would otherwise break your weapon (or break you).

Crimson

Sat 15 Dec 2018, 03:55

If the players have too many WP.. I the gm should also have too many. Just have them bump into a sorcerer or two who cast transfer on them in secret.

The fighter that goes from 10 to 2 in an instant will be more hesitant to bank up. It may even cause the party to offer them up to the casters in the party.

Roger Eberhart

Tue 25 Dec 2018, 22:26

I'm not familiar with the other games that use the Year Zero system, but do they have anything like Willpower? And if so, how is it managed in those games?
In Mutant Year Zero, you gain Mutation Points, which are required to power your mutant abilities. You start each session with a number of Mutation Points equal to how many mutations you have. There is a max of 10 and you can save them between sessions. Genlab Alpha has Feral Points which work in a similar fashion. I don't have Mutant Mechatron yet, so not sure if there is an equivalent system there.
There is no equivalent of Willpower Points in Tales From the Loop. In that game, if you push a roll you check a condition (Upset, Scared, Exhausted, Injured, or Broken).