oneone78
Topic Author

Grimoires

Sun 19 Aug 2018, 06:05

I still don't quite understand the use of grimoires. you can put time and effort into making a book with some helpful spell notes, but it makes the spell worse/weaker?

Fenhorn

Re: Grimoires

Sun 19 Aug 2018, 08:49

The spells rank counts as one lower than normal. Rank, not Power Level.

So if you have the spell Mend Wound (Rank 2, Healing, Druid) written down on a scroll or in a grimoire, you can cast this spell with the help of this written aid. The spell take some extra time casting but also counts as a Rank 1 spell. If you are a druid with Rank 2 in the Healing talent and cast this spell with the help of the written aid, the spell is cast as a spell one Rank below your Rank. This mean that you can make use of the Safe Casting rule. In this example this mean that you can opt to roll one less Base Dice when you cast the spell. Safe casting doesn't lower the Power Level of the spell, it just mean that you can cast this spell safer (less chance of a mishap and yes less chance for overcharging).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

9littlebees

Sun 19 Aug 2018, 14:06

What Fenhorn said. One additional benefit is that if you find a grimoire for a higher level spell, you could actually cast this at a lower rank.

Example, if your Level 2 Druid finds a grimoire containing the Resurrection spell, you would be able to cast it, as being in the grimoire means it is treated as a Rank 2 spell.
Last edited by 9littlebees on Thu 23 Aug 2018, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

oneone78
Topic Author

Wed 22 Aug 2018, 22:55

ah, that makes sense then. i was making that mistake of mixing up the two. thank you for clarifying it for me!