JohnJohn
Topic Author

combat question .... did I get it right?

Thu 09 Aug 2018, 08:42

Hi
Just trying to make sure I understand the rules correctly, not sure about the parry part(if you add the strength bonus), but see example below.

Biff and Buff are fighting(see stats below).

Biff and Buff the fighters
Melee:3
Strength:4 Agility:4 Wits:3 Empathy:3
small shield + longsword
Leather armor 2 point and studded leather cap 1 point armor.

On attacks they roll
3(melee)+4(Strength)+2(longsword) so 9 dices total.
On parry they roll
3(melee)+4(Strength)+1(shield bonus) so 8 dices total.

If they take wounds they roll 2(leather armor) + 1(leather cap) for a total of 3 dices to try and soak the damage.
Is the example correct?

The1TrueFredrix

Re: combat question .... did I get it right?

Thu 09 Aug 2018, 10:00

Yes you include strength because a parry is made with a melee roll, and a melee roll includes strength. Remember though, that the Longsword is a parrying weapon, so they can get plus 2 if they use that to parry instead of the shield (unless their opponent stabs them).
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Fenhorn

Thu 09 Aug 2018, 10:08

Also remember that you add the current attribute score to a skill roll.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

JohnJohn
Topic Author

Thu 09 Aug 2018, 11:00

TY for clearing that up for me :)

Klas

Sun 12 Aug 2018, 13:32

Yeah. At first I thought it would make no difference if you include the armor dice in the first roll, but there is a difference. If you push the first roll you might damage any used equipment. If you get to roll with more dice in the first place, the player may be less inclined to actually push, thus having lower chances of damaging the equipment in the long run. Plus, you can't push armor dice.

Daftmunkey

Mon 27 Aug 2018, 22:03

The example on p.106 of the player's handbook has caused confusion to me.

It states that Tygar gets hit for 8pts of damage, rolls his 8 armor dice and rolls a 1, a 6 and the rest don't matter.

This results in his armor value dropping by 1 point (rolling the 1) and his armor blocking 1 damage. This all makes sense so far, what doesn't make sense to me is the last sentence:

"Tyrgar chooses to let his chainmail take the hit and its Armor Rating is thus decreased to 5"

Nowhere have I seen the option to let your armor "take the hit", I thought it only blocked the amount of damage equal to the number of 6's you rolled.

Was this example ever explained anywhere?

Fenhorn

Mon 27 Aug 2018, 22:20

The example on p.106 of the player's handbook has caused confusion to me.

It states that Tygar gets hit for 8pts of damage, rolls his 8 armor dice and rolls a 1, a 6 and the rest don't matter.

This results in his armor value dropping by 1 point (rolling the 1) and his armor blocking 1 damage. This all makes sense so far, what doesn't make sense to me is the last sentence:

"Tyrgar chooses to let his chainmail take the hit and its Armor Rating is thus decreased to 5"

Nowhere have I seen the option to let your armor "take the hit", I thought it only blocked the amount of damage equal to the number of 6's you rolled.

Was this example ever explained anywhere?
Tyrgar wears a chainmail and an open helmet, for a total AR of 8 (6+2). If your armour is damaged, it is up to the player to decide if the chainmail or the open helmet was damaged. Tyrgar in the example let his chainmail take the one damage to the armour (from 6 to 5). The reason is that helmets are very good to have since they can also protect you against certain critical injuries and for the armour roll, you roll all the dice together regardless where they come from.
... or in short. The text "Tyrgar chooses to let his chainmail take the hit and its Armor Rating is thus decreased to 5" was referring to the damage his armour took.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Daftmunkey

Tue 28 Aug 2018, 03:40

oh wow, how did I not catch that!

For some reason I read the example as 3 damage by-passed his armor value of 8 (chain + helmet) and he assigned all 3 damage to his armor which now has a value of 5.

Totally misread that and I understand the example now: Chain down to 5, but still has full helm armor of 2, for total of 7 armor. Thanks.