Klas
Topic Author

Combat zones and ranges

Wed 04 Jul 2018, 18:31

Hi. I know this is very late in the game but I have a change request.

I have found myself grappling with the concepts of zone and ranges and how to translate them to one another. It eventually dawned on me that whenever "1 zone" appears, I can just substitute that with "1 short range" and end up with cleaner rules.

The discussion of zone features is useful because it determines just how short a short range really is, but that's about it. All uses of zones in the rest of the material has to do with distance between combatants, or how far you can run in one action. Substituting all of those with "1 short range" would give the same results but without the need to think about both concepts at once.

Klas
Topic Author

Re: Combat zones and ranges

Wed 04 Jul 2018, 19:18

The discrepancy becomes especially clear when you consider the rules for retreating and fleeing, which sometimes use zones to set limits and sometimes ranges.

The1TrueFredrix

Re: Combat zones and ranges

Wed 04 Jul 2018, 23:51

I disagree. Zones are flexible, depending on indoors/outdoors, the environment, and possibly even the narrative. Ranges are more fixed eg up to 25 meters, up to 100m etc. 
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/