Fleuri
Topic Author

Question about stacking initiative and other ones about map stickers

Tue 29 May 2018, 15:33

Two questions in one thread:

Consider a situation in which one side of a combat is outnumbered and the other side gets the better initiative cards. Then they proceed to pummel a poor low initiative combatant so that they'll be broken on turn one. This doesn't sound very fun to me. Is there or should there be a technique to mitigate this or is this a non-issue really? I haven't had a chance to actually play FBL yet.

Other questions are about map stickers: There's no mention of their functionality in either of the beta books. Sure, you can put them  on hexes where PCs find an adventure site, but what other uses they serve? Do you put them before PCs find the adventure site (Say, they've heard a rumour or see something interesting in the horizon)? What other uses adventure sites (Especially dungeons and fortresses) serve after PCs have 'cleared' them besides a potential foundation for a stronghold? Can PCs stumble upon adventure sites randomly? What function do adventurers' graves serve? Can I use the same map with two different parties?

Looking forwards to the game but the ambiguity concerns me a bit.

Fenhorn

Re: Question about stacking initiative and other ones about map stickers

Tue 29 May 2018, 16:10

Consider a situation in which one side of a combat is outnumbered and the other side gets the better initiative cards. Then they proceed to pummel a poor low initiative combatant so that they'll be broken on turn one. This doesn't sound very fun to me. Is there or should there be a technique to mitigate this or is this a non-issue really? I haven't had a chance to actually play FBL yet.
To be outnumbered is dangerous and it should be. You have to be very tactical when you are outnumbered. You can fight a larger number of foes, quite easily actually, if you have skills and talents for it. But if you don't have the skills and talents for it, flee. Combat rarely starts at Arm's Length (usually Short, perhaps Near sometimes). You should be able to flee. Sure, you might loose some campgear that you can't take with you when you flee, but that might be a small price to pay if you want to live.

Other questions are about map stickers: There's no mention of their functionality in either of the beta books. Sure, you can put them  on hexes where PCs find an adventure site, but what other uses they serve? Do you put them before PCs find the adventure site (Say, they've heard a rumour or see something interesting in the horizon)? What other uses adventure sites (Especially dungeons and fortresses) serve after PCs have 'cleared' them besides a potential foundation for a stronghold? Can PCs stumble upon adventure sites randomly? What function do adventurers' graves serve? Can I use the same map with two different parties?
These stickers have soon reach mythical status. All your questions are good questions. We don't know much about them (hm, we also lack some basic description what the terrain types are. Obvious perhaps, but regardless it should at least be a couple of paragraphs about it). There should be some text about the stickers, when and how to use them. Another commonly asked  question about the stickers is if they can be removed (and put somewhere else) and if not, then I really hope we got enough stickers for two campaigns (hopefully with some change).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

LupNi

Thu 31 May 2018, 13:52

Yeah, I think I'll stick the stickers on small cardboard or plastic chips, and then stick these tokens with sticky paste on the map to be able to reuse them. Plus, it can make some nice 3d props on the map.

9littlebees

Thu 31 May 2018, 16:40

Tomas confirmed in another thread that the stickers would be single use:
Hello! Each extra map will come with a set of stickers. We don't really want to have removable stickers, as the whole idea is to make the map a permanent record of your campaign.

All that said, we are right now confirming all those technical details with the printer.
Source: http://forum.frialigan.se/viewtopic.php ... ers#p29945
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)