skysterman

Appropriate rewards for adventures?

Sun 15 Apr 2018, 04:20

What are good treasures/artifacts for rewards at the end of a dungeon? Have people been just making up artifacts? When will we get a list/guide on how they are made? Its possible I overlooked the section but wanted to make sure. How much gold/silver/copper is too much to give?

Fenhorn

Re: Appropriate rewards for adventures?

Sun 15 Apr 2018, 07:46

We don't have any lists of magic items yet, besides a spell that can bind spells. There are some references to a crafting chapter but that has not yet been made (I guess). The only thing that the player can buy (for now) is what exists on the weapon/armour/gear tables. We have to wait and see. Hopefully the alpha will be a beta in a month or so, then we know more. I am very curious about crafting, magic items and more about the artefact dice myself.
"War, war never changes" - Lone Wanderer

The1TrueFredrix

Sun 15 Apr 2018, 10:02

I have a feeling that “treasure” will be more closely related to stronghold creation/management than simply magic items and gold. But we will wait and see. 
The Coriolis Effect - a fan podcast about Fria Ligan's Zero Engine games, featuring discussion of the rules and ideas to expand the setting of the Third Horizon and well as Actual Play episodes. http://feeds.feedburner.com/fictionsuit/tCE

Eldhierta

Sun 15 Apr 2018, 11:22

The1TrueFredrix wrote:
I have a feeling that “treasure” will be more closely related to stronghold creation/management than simply magic items and gold. But we will wait and see. 

Since the stronghold mechanic is entirely optional, I highly doubt that. But we'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

Fenhorn

Sun 15 Apr 2018, 11:27

The stronghold mechanics maybe optional but if they have some references to a crafting chapter in the skills (about what resources you need when building weapons ...) so the the crafting chapter probably contain more than just stronghold. Then I don't think that that chapter will have anything to do with any magic artefacts. That will probably (hopefully) have its own chapter.

Eldhierta

Sun 15 Apr 2018, 12:35

Fenhorn wrote:
The stronghold mechanics maybe optional but if they have some references to a crafting chapter in the skills (about what resources you need when building weapons ...) so the the crafting chapter probably contain more than just stronghold. Then I don't think that that chapter will have anything to do with any magic artefacts. That will probably (hopefully) have its own chapter.

Of course the loot-table may contain resources, as well as currency and magical items. I just felt that I needed to point out that it seems highly unlikely that there will be loot specifically for building Strongholds since that loot would be wasted on groups who don't use the mechanic. There might be multi-purpose loot though that can be used for crafting in general as well as the construction of Strongholds.

Though for the construction of Strongholds I'd think it more logical to secure trade routes and natural resources like mines, quarries, farmlands and large swathes of forest than hunting for treasure in dungeons. But then again, I may be a bit too "realistic" about my fantasy role playing games =D

skysterman

Sun 15 Apr 2018, 15:43

If any of you have been running as a dm what have you given as rewards? I was going to give like slightly better armor,weapons, or enchanted items similarly enchanted as the sword for the one adventure site we have. Like a longbow that gets extra dice when you attack from behind, a ring that increases damage when you have taken damage, exc. what have you all been giving your groups as rewards?

Fenhorn

Sun 15 Apr 2018, 17:11

I am testing the system using the old d&d adventure Isle of Dread. The treasure given in that is a little bit to much so i divide everything by 100 so in the Lair of the Lizard Men the treasure consist of 50 cp, 60 sp and 8 opals worth 5 gp each. A lot of money, yes, but there are 14 Lizard Men in that lair. 14 is not so dramatic in d&d but using FBL they players have to be a lot smarter if they want the treasure, regardless of they use force, stealth or trade to do it.

Since I have no idea how magic items will work in FBL (besides the bind spell) so if the adventure calls for a Magic Sword +1, I convert that to a rare or epic sword and since I don't know exactly how the artefact dice will be used, I simply change one of the dice (+2 normally for most swords) to the artefact dice instead. It works for now, until we get the FBL rules for treasures and magic trinkets.
GZIP: Off