GoblinLoveChild

Shove

Sat 07 Apr 2018, 23:36

I took this from the parrying thread and thought it needs some more discussion.

"Less confrontationally, if you absolutely *must* soften things because of whatever reasons, make the Shove action work like this "one success = pushed to Near distance. Two (or three if two isn't enough) successes = knocked prone instead." Would make it so a small shove, or one that was mostly defended against, cause the target to back peddle, but keep their balance. A solid shove/trip would be required to actually knock someone prone"

Just ran a session last night where 3 PCs took on a minotaur. They won easily but the thing that stood was one PC shoved the Minotaur. With only one success he was able to knock prone a mobster twice his size and strength. Afterwards we decided that I should require more successes for success due to size but the above modification also has some appeal.

Thoughts?

9littlebees

Re: Shove

Sun 08 Apr 2018, 00:23

I miss Stunts. In MYZ, shoving is a Stunt, so you would need 2 successes to trigger it anyway.

In other words, your quote is how I would implement it.
I'm an English game designer working on Nordsaga, a career-focused dark Viking game, powered by the Year Zero engine: https://9littlebees.com

utterkungen

Tue 10 Apr 2018, 01:37

The grapple and shove actions are a little powerful with the requirement of only a single success. Requiring more successes, or doing a strength contest, could be a good fix for both cases.

With extra successes in mind, I like the idea of basing it off the targets base strength. So up to strength 6 you only need a single success. I say 6 because that's the highest strength obtainable by any of the playable kin so it seems natural that they would be equal with respect to being shoved or grappled. Then, for every strength over 6 you need an additional success. Against a str 7 target you need 2 successes, against 8 str 3 successes, and so on. This would still allow for epic rolls but remove the balance implications of easily pushing over a minotaur, or worse, a str 12 troll.

Cayrid

Thu 12 Apr 2018, 06:15

Or make it so shove requires 1 success if attacker is stronger or of equal strenght, and add an extra success if the defender has more strenght (1 per point over). This also make a wounded character easier to shove...

Tomas
Site Admin

Thu 12 Apr 2018, 18:02

We are having another look at the shove action. Also, the idea is that you can only use against normal humanoids, not monsters (which minotaurs count as). This will be clarified. :)
Fria Ligan

GoblinLoveChild

Fri 13 Apr 2018, 05:07

Thats great!

Could you also review similaR systems like disarm and grapple as they suffer the smae issues,

Another suggestion could Be to make them slow actions. And allow talents [such as shield fighter] to let you shove using a shiled as a fast action

skysterman

Sun 15 Apr 2018, 15:48

You could have given it a difficulty of minus 3 due to the size of his enemy. Otherwise they get all the dice vs a monster who should not be able to be shoved.
GZIP: Off