Fenhorn

Re: Starting Willpower in a Session

Sun 22 Apr 2018, 12:37

Our mage really struggles to gain enought points to actually cast a spell. He is rather weak and fragile, so he can't really push to die to often, because it will break him. So he rather fail and take the consequences then push and reroll the die. 

I would probably add something that allows spellcaster to regain a pool of willpower. To play a mage that can't use any spells really sucks. 
But he can't have weak attributes all over. He needs to be good doing something. He probably has high wits so he will probably be a good candidate for scout and lore skill rolls, perhaps even survival and insight skill rolls. As I said above, he needs to find himself useful.
The player in my group that plays druid, he got most of his WP from survival skill rolls. Another player in my group plays a halfling rogue. He got a majority of his WP from dodging (move skill). He doesn't like to push his melee skill rolls because he isn't as good in it and strength is more dangerous to get damaged. And, yes, the halfling get WP by dodging, WP that he then can use for his kin talent if he misses his dodge (he is very hard to hit, I must say).
I must add here that we didn't have this flow (regarding WP) in our first couple of sessions but then my players have learned that they must share all the "chores" between them, combat or non-combat chores.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Daarkh

Sun 22 Apr 2018, 12:41

We have only played two sessions so far and the mage player is new to this system, so yes, it might get better. I also just found the large thread about this, so I wont be pushin it any further in this one. Thanks for your input. 

wizoroc

Fri 27 Apr 2018, 00:14

The players gain WPs quite easily in this game (just as for MPs in MYZ) so gaining WP is not really a problem. The GM also gain WP the same way (although he can't push the dice rolls for monsters). It is mostly an issue for the first encounter really and for the GM of course it can be a little of an issue the first session. But after that the whole WP thing is like an ocean wave (so poetic).
In my experience running both MYZ and Genlab for different groups...gaining WP is a problem. Players seem to spend the starting MPs, then that is usually it for the session. They will come across a few MPs by pushing, but they don't push for the purpose of getting MPs. So they usually just spend what they gain each session.
My experience with Forbidden Lands is even more extreme, because starting with no WP, they are forced to push to gain them. And really, many of the talents are nice, but not game-critical enough to spend a hard-earned WP point for. Especially for a Spellbinder (I know...Sorcerer...but Spellbinder is so much cooler, I am not giving the name up). The Spellbinder who wants to spend 2 or 3 WP points on a spell...that just doesn't happen in my experience, unless they specifically push for gaining points. Then it seems kinda forced. It is an easy thing to fix with a houserule to make it like MYZ...so I am not too concerned.

Aldorf

Tue 08 May 2018, 13:20

I made small house rule in my group stating that all players add their Wits and Charisma together, divide by two and round down. This is their default WP value and they start every new day with this pool (after a nights rest). So even if they have accumulated more it will reset. My players seem very happy with this concept as it represents being rested and able to perform some tricks without accumulating "stress points".

Blackonion

Tue 08 May 2018, 16:25

I made small house rule in my group stating that all players add their Wits and Charisma together, divide by two and round down. This is their default WP value and they start every new day with this pool (after a nights rest). So even if they have accumulated more it will reset. My players seem very happy with this concept as it represents being rested and able to perform some tricks without accumulating "stress points".
I like it.

9littlebees

Tue 08 May 2018, 19:40

It's a good rule (maybe a little bit high for my tastes), but might be easier just to tell them that they have a number of WP equal to the lowest value of Wits or Charisma. This will be the same result for many cases (though not quite all), and might encourage players to spread those Attribute points around a bit more evenly.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

oneone78

Wed 23 May 2018, 20:40

i've been reading though the spells just now and feel the same. seems odd that you need to push yourself now so that later you can cast spells, and be damaged as a result. i like the idea of willpower recovery too. another option would be to take the attributes that are not your profession attributes and average them. and if you are below that after a rest then you reset to that number if you are below it. if you are suffering from hunger or something then you do not reset.

Blatifagus

Wed 23 May 2018, 21:13

This again (or still?).

The "damage" you take by pushing dice, and rolling banes, is easily removed by taking a rest. Like ALL of it!
You're not really wounded until you take a critical injury.

I've been playing this for a couple of sessions now, and can honestly say that, the system works! Even for spell casters. You've got plenty of WP to work with. Believe me! And the trauma/damage you take by pushing isn't an issue unless you forget that you're already wounded when you charge a bunch of goblins. (True story. I did that. I forgot. But we got them in the end.)

Erzaad

Wed 23 May 2018, 22:20

I must have a very different group dynamic. My players LOVE to push their rolls, even when they don't need to, to get those points. They find that it makes the game that much more exciting. "Always push" is kind of they motto. My group typically maxes out their points pretty quickly. Getting them to spend the points is usually harder!

EDIT: That said, I'm curious as to why players don't get a free WP or two at the start of each session. That's how it worked in M:Y0.

Klas

Thu 24 May 2018, 00:11

My players LOVE to push their rolls, even when they don't need to, to get those points.
It sounds like you allow them to roll for too many things. Get a bit greedy about it to balance it.

Edit: To clarify, I basically don't let mine roll unless it causes them stress to do so. Everything else is plain arbitration. You can just decide that they can't do whatever it is, or that they succeed automatically.