SushiBacon
Topic Author

Starting Willpower in a Session

Tue 27 Mar 2018, 03:19

I been reading the Alpha all over but I can't seem to find the starting willpower in a session for the characters.

From what I gather, everyone starts with 0 and gain willpower as they push rolls. 
Characters retain their willpower from session to session but the GM's pool always equal the starting willpower total of the party.
I may be misreading something.

King_Kull

Re: Starting Willpower in a Session

Tue 27 Mar 2018, 08:37

For the players you got it correct. Don’t know about the GM‘s pool.
I am king!

utterkungen

Wed 28 Mar 2018, 14:25

At the start of the session the GM has a pool of Willpower equal to the combined Willpower of all the PCs. During play the GM can increase their Willpower pool by pushing rolls for the NPCs, same as the PCs. The GMs accrued Willpower doesn't carry over from session to session.

Example:
The players have a combined Willpower of 15, so the GM starts with a pool of 15 Willpower. The session is played out and the GM ends the night with 10 Willpower still in their pool. This is all lost. At the start of the next session, the players only have a combined Willpower of 3, so the GM starts with a pool of 3.

SushiBacon
Topic Author

Thu 29 Mar 2018, 13:31

Thanks for the replies everyone.
The GM willpower is clear in the rules. But when starting a game, session 1. The rules are not clear on how many willpower they begin with.

Fenhorn

Thu 29 Mar 2018, 13:47

New characters don't start with Willpower. Personally I might houserule in that they start one or perhaps "age group" (i.e. 1-3) Willpower. This, just so they have something to use in their first encounter in their first session and also so I as a GM have a couple to use in said session.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

SushiBacon
Topic Author

Thu 29 Mar 2018, 13:56

New characters don't start with Willpower. Personally I might houserule in that they start one or perhaps "age group" (i.e. 1-3) Willpower. This, just so they have something to use in their first encounter in their first session and also so I as a GM have a couple to use in said session.
I thought as much. Was thinking of house ruling as well. Gonna try it it first as written, and I'll go from there.

Fenhorn

Thu 29 Mar 2018, 14:12

The players gain WPs quite easily in this game (just as for MPs in MYZ) so gaining WP is not really a problem. The GM also gain WP the same way (although he can't push the dice rolls for monsters). It is mostly an issue for the first encounter really and for the GM of course it can be a little of an issue the first session. But after that the whole WP thing is like an ocean wave (so poetic).

skysterman

Tue 17 Apr 2018, 00:27

I tested a Druid last night and during the first encounter I pushed the roll, my staff broke, and had to use my wp during that encounter to stay alive.
But then from there on out I had no feasible way of getting any wp without putting myself in harms way. Here's the build I was using
S:3
A:2
W:5
E: 3

With no points in mele. So with three dice to use on a punch, with only that much hp to spare, I couldn't really find anything to do that would generate wp, especially in combat. Is it just a necessary requirement for spellcasters to use a secondary weapon and not be pure Mage? Trying to see what else I could have done other than just needlessly pushed rolls for like manipulation/insight.

Fenhorn

Tue 17 Apr 2018, 01:12

One of my players is a druid. He doesn't have much of combat skills, but he makes most of the Lead the Way and Building Camp rolls and also foraging if the group needs food. He has no problem getting WP. Everyone needs to find themselves useful in a group. The player plays a human druid,. He didn't use his kin talent that much in the first sessions. But now (when he is warmed up) he has learned that the adaptive talent can be really good and with that talent he can use his skills for something else. Making himself even more useful (and gaining even more WP).

I think this is something that a group needs to think about when they make their characters. They all need be useful.

Regarding, pure mage or druid. Since you don't need skills to cast magic (magic is talent-based) you need to put your 8+ skill points on skill that you think you will use.

Daarkh

Sun 22 Apr 2018, 12:16

Our mage really struggles to gain enought points to actually cast a spell. He is rather weak and fragile, so he can't really push to die to often, because it will break him. So he rather fail and take the consequences then push and reroll the die. 

I would probably add something that allows spellcaster to regain a pool of willpower. To play a mage that can't use any spells really sucks.