9littlebees
Topic Author

Being Broken and Falling Prone

Thu 15 Feb 2018, 06:30

There has been a lot of discussion on the Google+ community (link) about whether being broken by Doubt (Empathy) causes that character to be knocked prone.

It would appear that the rules are contradictory on this point, because they say:
When an attribute score reaches zero, you are broken. You collapse to the ground and lack the strength or force of will to carry on. Exactly what it means to be broken depends on what attribute has been depleted:
However, in the next section it says:
If you’re broken by Fear, however, you can flee to a safe place if you can do so without rolling dice.
Further text (mainly in the Talents) is quite clear when it is stated that they help a character get back to their feet when that character is broken by any of the four attributes, reinforcing the assumption that being broken by all forms of Misery result in falling over.

This is easy enough to figure out in context and even houserule if needed, but for those of us with rules-lawyer players, I think the text might need to be made clearer.

If the intent is to allow characters who are broken by social interactions to stay on their feet (but otherwise be unable to act), please make this clearer in the text.

Examples of sections which should be changed to say something like "if the broken character is prone" are on p53 (Getting Someone Back on Their Feet), p57 (Orc Talent), p60 (Path of the Hymn Level 1), p63 (Path of the Companion Level 2), p123 (Blood Bond).

Obviously the "Broken" section on p97 would also need sone tweaking.

Apologies if the post isn't clear. It's 5:30am (sleepless toddler).
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

The1TrueFredrix

Re: Being Broken and Falling Prone

Thu 15 Feb 2018, 15:44

I endorse this message. It makes perfect sense whatever time of day you wrote it. 

And I have a suggestion, for a tweak to the text:

When an attribute score reaches zero, you are broken. Exactly what it means to be broken depends on what attribute has been depleted, and the circumstances. The GM will suggest what your character is able to do, but your actions will, be limited, and you can not make any roll until you have recovered. 

STRENGTH: In combat you have been knocked senseless, or are paralyzed by pain.
AGILITY: You collapse from exhaustion. 
WITS: Your brain overloads and you cannot think clearly. You can’t make any decisions. 
EMPATHY: You are paralyzed by fear or wracked with sorrow and self-pity, in social situations you 

Or something like that :)
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Fragpuss

Thu 15 Feb 2018, 16:12

I agree that it seems unrealistic that PCs should just curl up on the floor after being made to look stupid in an argument, anyone that fragile probably shouldn't be an adventurer. I could see them losing their temper and trying to punch someone out.

I think T1TF's text is just about spot on...it injects some much needed flexibility.

Tomas
Site Admin

Thu 15 Feb 2018, 16:42

Great feedback here, we'll look into it.
Fria Ligan

Jizmack

Thu 15 Feb 2018, 20:40

This shouldn’t be complicated.
Physical attributes reach zero you fall prone (can crawl).
Mental attributes reach zero you don’t fall prone.

Klas

Thu 15 Feb 2018, 22:29

I could see them losing their temper and trying to punch someone out.
I like this. It's going to be a "funny" fight considering that the character can't roll for skills :)

Jurij 1138

Thu 15 Feb 2018, 23:13

I could see them losing their temper and trying to punch someone out.
I like this. It's going to be a "funny" fight considering that the character can't roll for skills :)
In other words - you lose your temper, try to punch someone (and can't hit, since you can't use actions), and the enemy laughs at you and beheads you. Great solution!

Klas

Fri 16 Feb 2018, 01:26

The GM should probably show restraint but it makes for great narrative :)