Klas
Topic Author

Using magic over your talent level

Sat 10 Feb 2018, 22:36

Based on the discussion after our last session I think my players will not bother learning level 3 in any magic talent if they have other options.

As written, the only negative consequence is that you don't get a booster from rolled 6's. This doesn't seem right as players will likely not rely on rolling 6's anyway.

I am not entirely against casting over your ability, but it needs to get a lot more difficult and risky.

Fenhorn

Re: Using magic over your talent level

Sat 10 Feb 2018, 23:42

I am totally agreeing with you on this. One way is to make it cost more (+1 WP) to cast a spell that is over your talent level (besides that 6:s don't count).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Klas
Topic Author

Sun 11 Feb 2018, 00:34

Something like that. For now I think I'll house rule it like so:

* WP cost is increased by the level of the spell. The extra WP adds to the dice pool. (This will make it pretty dangerous together with another house rule I have in mind.)
* Time to cast is multiplied by the level of the spell.
* You still get the boost from rolled 6's.

LupNi

Sun 11 Feb 2018, 12:32

I agree. At the very least the wording needs to change. So far it's written that you can attempt to cast above your level but it's risky. It's actually not riskier at all, just slightly less potent...

One way to really increase the risk would be to consider all successes as skulls when casting above your level.

Jizmack

Tue 13 Feb 2018, 22:26

A simple way to penalize “Chance Casting” above your level:

Suffer 1 Confusion per Willpower point spent to cast the spell. This is in addition to any mishap result.