Morgoth

More Spells for Sorcerer please

Sat 10 Feb 2018, 22:02

Hey folks,

I've digested the Alpha pdf and thus far I am of the mind that there need to be more spells for the Sorcerer (btw I hope the name change for the class is official, Sorcerer is more fitting than Spellbinder). Necromancy and to some extent Blood Magic seem more for NPCs than PC mages, even PCs who are of a sword and sorcery bent rather than high fantasy. We really need a Fire school of spells, or Storm/Lightning. And more general purpose magical spells also please.

In fact I really don't get all the love Druids are getting, I don't really mind it but not at the expense of Sorcerers. The Awareness school of spells should really belong to Sorcerers, not sure why Druids have it.

Morgoth

Re: More Spells for Sorcerer please

Mon 30 Apr 2018, 00:53

Any word if there have been more spells/spells schools added to the game?

Fenhorn

Mon 30 Apr 2018, 01:42

Since spellbinders have four schools (four perfectly valid schools for NPC and PC according to me) I don't see it necessary to add more (for now).
"War, war never changes" - Lone Wanderer

Klas

Mon 30 Apr 2018, 23:42

Me neither. I picture magic for this setting to be of a sort that is closer to Conan than D&D. Fireballs just aren't mysterious enough :)
Necromancers can be PCs. It doesn't have to a sinister vocation. There is after all a lot of dead trash to clear out in the land. Plus, you might consider that anyone who knows a lot about death would probably also know much about life and could be a sought after healer, even if it is not the magic sort of healing.

Morgoth

Tue 01 May 2018, 15:49

Oh I totally agree that magic should be more sword & sorcery than high fantasy; sword & sorcery magic is full of fire spells though, be they fiery rays or immolating people in flames or conjuring lightning from the sky. Wagners Kane story's also had fireballs thrown about, albeit they were colored green than orange.

So more magic schools please.

Tomas
Site Admin

Wed 02 May 2018, 11:24

Hi!

We have intentionally chosen not to include some of the more traditional elements-based magic, as a) these have been done to death in a zillion games, and b) we want magic in Forbidden Lands to have a more dangerous, gritty feel to it. That said, it's certainly possible that more disciplines of magic will be added later. :)
Fria Ligan

9littlebees

Wed 02 May 2018, 11:27

Tomas wrote:
Hi!

We have intentionally chosen not to include some of the more traditional elements-based magic, as a) these have been done to death in a zillion games, and b) we want magic in Forbidden Lands to have a more dangerous, gritty feel to it. That said, it's certainly possible that more disciplines of magic will be added later. :)

+1 - I like that this feels different. People who want more traditional magic can easily homebrew it in or even produce something a bit more official under the OGL.
I'm an English game designer working on Nordsaga, a career-focused dark Viking game, powered by the Year Zero engine: https://9littlebees.com

LupNi

Fri 04 May 2018, 11:02

What I kind of miss are spells that allow the caster to really get creative, beyond damaging/healing/getting a mechanical bonus... Spells where the effect is up to interpretation, or weird enough to be wonderful. I like playing "toolbox" caster, nothing beats the feeling of solving your problems with spells like "animate bedsheets, "control weasels" or "summon tomato".

Joke aside, I'm pretty happy with the spell list, but I find it a bit rigid and restrictive. I guess guidelines for spell creation might be what I'm looking for.
GZIP: Off