Klas

Re: Fortresses

Tue 12 Dec 2017, 23:54

Thought a bit more about this. A system similar to the spheres of influence attached to the Shadow Powers in Svavelvinter would be very nice. It directly drives narrative in a fantastic way. It also implies that items that appear singular (fortresses) are in fact scenes of rivalry, which is maybe the Svavelvinter system's biggest contribution to narrative development.

PCs aren't that likely to gain a fortress on the day of the release of the main product. It might be better to push rules and extended stats for existing campaign "stuff" into a later supplement.

King_Kull

Wed 13 Dec 2017, 09:05

Thought a bit more about this. A system similar to the spheres of influence attached to the Shadow Powers in Svavelvinter would be very nice. It directly drives narrative in a fantastic way. It also implies that items that appear singular (fortresses) are in fact scenes of rivalry, which is maybe the Svavelvinter system's biggest contribution to narrative development.

PCs aren't that likely to gain a fortress on the day of the release of the main product. It might be better to push rules and extended stats for existing campaign "stuff" into a later supplement.
Can’t follow your thought... The strongholds like the space ships or arks are a main theme in this RPG. And perhaps a group of PCs find their stronghold after the second evening of play. The Strongholds have to be in the core rules.
And I don’t know of Svavelvinter but I hope when you speak of Rivalry it’s between PCs and NPCs and not within a group of PCs.
I am king!

Klas

Wed 13 Dec 2017, 09:23

Can’t follow your thought... The strongholds like the space ships or arks are a main theme in this RPG. And perhaps a group of PCs find their stronghold after the second evening of play. The Strongholds have to be in the core rules.
And I don’t know of Svavelvinter but I hope when you speak of Rivalry it’s between PCs and NPCs and not within a group of PCs.
You could be right that it wouldn't be the best fit for the game's style. The system doesn't directly imply rivalry between PCs but it could. It basically works by players controlling one "shadow power" each (in addition to their normal PCs) which may give orders to another player's PC. In Svavelvinter this used to provide direction narrative for the PCs but doesn't really say what should happen if the PCs become shadow powers themselves. At any event I find it quite brilliant and much more engaging than plain resource management.

lupex

Wed 13 Dec 2017, 14:22

One of the things my group has been thinking about is how they would recruit NPCs to maintain he fotress or work in the fields etc
YZE Bestiary - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/320924/The-Servants-of-Memory

My Blog - https://is-it-a-monster.blogspot.com/

Instant Session - https://perchance.org/fl-session-generator

Monsters - https://perchance.org/fl-monster-generator

Tomas
Site Admin

Thu 14 Dec 2017, 00:31

Lots of great ideas here, and many of them close to our own plans. Thanks, keep it going! :)
Fria Ligan

Eldhierta

Thu 14 Dec 2017, 00:53

I'd like for the fortress to be something of an achilles' heel in addition to all the beneficial effects lined out above. So aside from all the positive stats it should also gain notoriety/fame and the higher it goes, the higher the risk for other factions wanting to claim it.
I've suggested things along this line to FL, that you will inevitably attract attention from other powers as your wealth and power grows.
Sounds great, carry on :D

Crashw1re
Topic Author

Thu 14 Dec 2017, 23:02

This shadow powers sounds interesting ill probably look into that game.

I like resource management and have thought about it in games before. Im not so keen on the having an income of say, gold/food/wood per "turn" based upon your territories or whatever. I do like the idea of having resources, say from a mine or mill ect and then this allows you to support a certain number of buildings/upgrades. You could make acquiring a new resource a cool mission, clear a mine out, protect a village. Also you wouldnt have the problem of players just sittig around whilst one farm eventually produces enough food for what they need and more importantly it removes the bean counting aspect of resource management.

Im not sure if a gold cost to build things makes very much sense in this setting so acquiring resources would be very nice.

You could also have luxury resources which unlock special upgrades. Or special reosurces like steel or horses could unlock enhanced crafting options. Id love to see some exotic resources unique to the world.

9littlebees

Fri 15 Dec 2017, 11:35

This shadow powers sounds interesting ill probably look into that game.

I like resource management and have thought about it in games before. Im not so keen on the having an income of say, gold/food/wood per "turn" based upon your territories or whatever. I do like the idea of having resources, say from a mine or mill ect and then this allows you to support a certain number of buildings/upgrades. You could make acquiring a new resource a cool mission, clear a mine out, protect a village. Also you wouldnt have the problem of players just sittig around whilst one farm eventually produces enough food for what they need and more importantly it removes the bean counting aspect of resource management.

Im not sure if a gold cost to build things makes very much sense in this setting so acquiring resources would be very nice.

You could also have luxury resources which unlock special upgrades. Or special reosurces like steel or horses could unlock enhanced crafting options. Id love to see some exotic resources unique to the world.
I agree. Simple, clear resource requirements without the bean counting (and with potential side quests) would be perfect!
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

wraithdrit

Fri 05 Jan 2018, 01:29

One thing I would add to some of the other suggestions is the ability to have more than one stronghold. In MYZ the ark is pre-established and assumed. But my players have already started talking about branching out from their ark and creating other kinds of settlements. Outposts, etc. Something along those lines seems really up the alley of FL. Being able to have a tower in one place, a castle in another, etc. Creating routes and linkage between them. That sort of thing.

King_Kull

Fri 05 Jan 2018, 11:38

One thing I would add to some of the other suggestions is the ability to have more than one stronghold. In MYZ the ark is pre-established and assumed. But my players have already started talking about branching out from their ark and creating other kinds of settlements. Outposts, etc. Something along those lines seems really up the alley of FL. Being able to have a tower in one place, a castle in another, etc. Creating routes and linkage between them. That sort of thing.
Good idea. But I think this could be something for a new supplement. I don't think that you start right from the beginning with a stronghold. After many game sessions you have one stronghold and then begin to built it. But you need people you can trust to administer your other strongholds and this seems to me a possibility if you have a high reputation but first you have to build your reputation. And strongholds will be the objects of other NPCs desire. And if you have a lot of strongholds you have many sites which you have watch over. Personally I want to roleplay in the world and the idea of a stronghold is really nice but it's not as important to me than to other people. I play Birthright right now and I don't like the realm phases very much. It's more of a boardgame than an RPG to me - but as I said this is only my opinion ;)
I am king!