Harper
Topic Author

Polyhedral dice,

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 12:08

I understand this version of the rules will be using different dice other than the normal d6,
I'm guess the target number remains the same (6) for success's, right? 

I like this idea, was thinking along the same lines, while reading some of Loop,

Is this true?

King_Kull

Re: Polyhedral dice,

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 12:11

Read something that the mechanism is more related to MYZ. But I don’t know anything specific, sorry.
I am king!

Harper
Topic Author

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 12:25

Read something that the mechanism is more related to MYZ. But I don’t know anything specific, sorry.
I don't have MYZ, (not like I haven't tried to get a copy, but they are sold out within the UK, can't find one anywhere) but i do have both Coriolis and Loop,
It seems to be a variant of MYZ

Tomas
Site Admin

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 12:37

I don't have MYZ, (not like I haven't tried to get a copy, but they are sold out within the UK, can't find one anywhere) but i do have both Coriolis and Loop,
Hi!
MYZ is currently out of print, it will take about a month for a new batch to arrive. In the meantime, there is always the starter booklet, which is also available as a free PDF.
And yes, as the rules stand now, Forbidden Lands will use dice in a fashion very close to MYZ, with the exception that polydice will be used for powerful artifacts, magic and the like. On these, a 6+ will also mean success, and higher rolls will mean multiple successes (just like rolling several sixes). It goes like this:
D8: 6-7 means one success, 8 means two successes.
D10: 6-8 means one success, 9-10 means two successes.
D12: 6-9 means one success, 10-11 means two successes, 12 means three successes.
This is not fully finalized yet, but it's what we're working with right now.
Fria Ligan

Harper
Topic Author

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 12:41

Hi!
MYZ is currently out of print, it will take about a month for a new batch to arrive. In the meantime, there is always the starter booklet, which is also available as a free PDF.
And yes, as the rules stand now, Forbidden Lands will use dice in a fashion very close to MYZ, with the exception that polydice will be used for powerful artifacts, magic and the like. On these, a 6+ will also mean success, and higher rolls will mean multiple successes (just like rolling several sixes). It goes like this:
D12: 6-9 means one success, 10-11 means two successes, 12 means three successes.
Like :D

King_Kull

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 13:02

Like that, too! :)
I am king!

9littlebees

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 13:17

Wow, interesting!
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

Fenhorn

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 13:38

Hi!
Question: Will nine d6s really be enough. MYZ uses 5+5+5 (Attribute+Skills+Gear) dices. Is the skill range different in FL or why is nine d6s enough? 
I mean in MYZ one set is enough. There are exceptions but they are rare. It is of course convenient to have more than one set so you don't have to share dice, especially if you have many players. But if skills are 0-5 as in MYZ and then add gear to that, the number of dice in one set seems not to be enough.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Tomas
Site Admin

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 13:46

You're right, this is a bit of a challenge. For production reasons, making dice sets with more than 12 engraved custom dice like this will be very complicated, if not impossible.  The MYZ dice sets have 15 dice, but they are of a simpler design and not produced by Q-workshop like the Fordbidden Lands dice will be. So we will have to compromise a little. A set with nine D6s will be enough for most situations, but there can be situations where one set will not be enough. In such cases, you might need to reroll some dice, use other dice, or get an extra dice set.
Fria Ligan

Fenhorn

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 13:54

You're right, this is a bit of a challenge. For production reasons, making dice sets with more than 12 engraved custom dice like this will be very complicated, if not impossible.  The MYZ dice sets have 15 dice, but they are of a simpler design and not produced by Q-workshop like the Fordbidden Lands dice will be. So we will have to compromise a little. A set with nine D6s will be enough for most situations, but there can be situations where one set will not be enough. In such cases, you might need to reroll some dice, use other dice, or get an extra dice set.
This was good to know. I have pledged for two extra set of dice. One set for the players, one for me (GM) and one set in between. I like custom dice so I am ok with this. Would of course be dandy to know the composition of the dice. I mean number of attribute dice (I guess you will have that since you are going to hurt yourself sometimes), is the rest of the dice skill and gear dice (meaning no explo on gear dice), etc. Could be good to know, when calculating how many dice set you need for your group.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore