Valyar

Stacking modifiers from talents

Thu 14 Mar 2019, 06:38

I believe we read clearly the rules when it comes stacking modifiers from talents and various sources, but still to check with the community: We looked at "Shield Fighter" and "Sword Fighter" talents at the end of the session when the XP was being distributed by my players. Both talents give you +1 PARRY and the condition is to have a shield and fight with sword respectively.

There are no limitations on the source and amount of modifiers to a roll (talent or environmental), therefore the PARRY bonuses from "Shield Fighter" and "Sword Fighter" will stack giving a character +2 modifier to the PARRY action. Same approach with other talents.

Rymdhamster

Re: Stacking modifiers from talents

Thu 14 Mar 2019, 09:44

Yes, exactly like that.

Valyar

Thu 14 Mar 2019, 11:05

Thanks! Following this line of thought, what about this reading of the same rules:

Those bonuses shouldn't apply if the attack that the character attempts to parry can't be parried with the respective gear. For example: Arrow can be parried with shield. I presume the +1 PARRY from "Sword Fighter" talent shouldn't apply, because arrow initially can't be parried with sword (though from cinematic perspective would be awesome).

9littlebees

Thu 14 Mar 2019, 16:46

Valyar wrote:
Thanks! Following this line of thought, what about this reading of the same rules:

Those bonuses shouldn't apply if the attack that the character attempts to parry can't be parried with the respective gear. For example: Arrow can be parried with shield. I presume the +1 PARRY from "Sword Fighter" talent shouldn't apply, because arrow initially can't be parried with sword (though from cinematic perspective would be awesome).

Yes, I would agree you wouldn't get the +2 to parry versus an arrow in that example.
Working on Nordsaga, an alt-history Viking setting using the Forbidden Lands rules: http://nordsaga.co

Klas Bas

Thu 14 Mar 2019, 17:20

Swordfighter, in the Swedish rules,only apply to actions using the sword and shieldfighter only apply to actions using shields. I can’t see how these bonuses could be stacked on eachother. If you parry with a sword you get +1 from swordfighter and if you parry with a shield you get +1 from shieldfighter. I have only read the Swedish rules though.

EDIT: I now see the text differs a little between the versions.

Valyar

Thu 14 Mar 2019, 17:48

Interesting, I think it will be good if someone from Free League comments on this.

The reading from Klas Bas is the first one that initiated the discussion last night. :)
GZIP: Off