Daftmunkey
Topic Author

Sling ammunition

Wed 15 Aug 2018, 21:11

When using a slingshot (should be sling in my opinion - but that's another topic), does one have to buy ammunition (stones?) or do you have unlimited ammo?

I see arrows (iron head/wooden head) in the Trade Goods section, but nothing in regards to slingshot ammunition. If you need to buy "arrows" for your your slingshot ammunition then it maybe should have been called "ammunition" in the Trade Goods, but it's probably too late for that change if not already done.

Thanks!! Can't wait for books!!! :)

Klas

Re: Sling ammunition

Thu 16 Aug 2018, 01:54

It helps a great deal to have properly designed shots. So it's a craft to make them. Ancient armies often produced them by burning clay formed in special molds. Make what you will of that :)

9littlebees

Thu 16 Aug 2018, 10:19

For my own games, I've been planning on using the resource die.

However, since slings use stones, I've houseruled that a successful Survival roll while travelling / during downtime means you spend a good couple of hours looking for appropriate stones to replenish you stores, and you would get an upgraded resource die with a successful roll.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

Daftmunkey
Topic Author

Thu 16 Aug 2018, 19:07

For my own games, I've been planning on using the resource die.

However, since slings use stones, I've houseruled that a successful Survival roll while travelling / during downtime means you spend a good couple of hours looking for appropriate stones to replenish you stores, and you would get an upgraded resource die with a successful roll.
I like this, and may have to "borrow" your idea. Will have to track arrows/stones separately if need be of course, but that's not much of a challenge.
That or my initial thought of "stones are free, but provide a lower skill bonus than arrows".
Was just checking to make sure I didn't missed the info somewhere else in the pdf...

Kasaidan

Sun 27 Jan 2019, 18:03

As far my historical knowledge goes there are 3 tiers, lead, clay and suitable rocks.

Lead should be the expensive option, with a price akin to wood arrows, clay projectiles can be fabricated at a campfire with a survival roll and you can find up to rocks while marching in most terrain.

Lead should make it possible to use shortbow
range or so due to a denser projectile, better aero dynamics and stuff.