9littlebees

Re: MONSTER: Manticore

Thu 22 Feb 2018, 10:59

True. Maybe a half-dozen additional races, but with a deeper culture to draw on and different factions within those races.
Why do we need more races than presented in the book?  I personally don't want the official setting to turn into some D&D clone.  IMO, it has just the right amount of sentient races to feel like fantasy, yet still retain its own identity in the glut of published fantasy settings.
I understand your reservations about adding more races to the setting. I just feel that it could do with a few more sentient races to add some variation. I certainly don't want to see 5 or 6 additional books of races like D&D/Pathfinder, but a half-dozen well developed species that could either be antagonists or possible allies as the adventurers explore Ravenlands or other areas would, in my opinion, be beneficial. 
I like what I see of the setting so far, it's not that I don't like the races presented, but I just feel a few more would be good too.
I see what you're saying, but I feel that there is plenty of variation - we have 10 sentient races, after all!

But that's one of the benefits of getting an OGL - we can all tweak our games to suit our own tastes.  There's nothing stopping you from creating your own additional Kin as playable (or non-playable) races.  In fact, it looks pretty easy to do.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

silverfoxdmt73
Topic Author

Re: MONSTER: Manticore

Thu 22 Feb 2018, 11:46

I see what you're saying, but I feel that there is plenty of variation - we have 10 sentient races, after all!

But that's one of the benefits of getting an OGL - we can all tweak our games to suit our own tastes.  There's nothing stopping you from creating your own additional Kin as playable (or non-playable) races.  In fact, it looks pretty easy to do.
Absolutely. The prospect of an OGL was one of the reasons I backed the KS - that and the fact I absolutely love Coriolis too. With the OGL there is the freedom to create your own additions to the setting, or create an entirely new setting based on the core rules and tweak things as you see fit. 
I have a few ideas already for adventure sites and scenarios that I hope people will like. Just getting some ideas down with the Alpha rules and hopefully by the time the full game is published I can have something to offer to the wider community.