cocolebelge
Topic Author

General questions about Mechatron and Mutant Year 0

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 14:30

Hi all,

I am planning to finally start a campaign of Mutant Year 0 (I kickstarted this few years ago ;) ) and I was looking for extra material (in shop or free fan made material)
I am looking for extra sectors to add to my campaign and I saw yesterday the new Mechatron 0 setting. 
  • Is Mechatron compatible with Mutant year 0?
  • Could I use parts of it as a new/other sector or Ark?
  • Are the extra  "sectors" PDfs for backers available for non backers? Are those sectors format the same as previously or a little more detailed? 
  • Is it possible to play Mechatron as humans? or augmented humans?
  • As I don't have much time to prepare sessions and adventures can I find somewhere a few adventures or detailed seeds of adventures on the web?
I love the concept of the game but If I had one or two small remarks, I would have liked more in depth Zones with plots.  And I am not really excited about the Gen lab stuff with mutated animals. At least from what I have seen from previews. I did not actually bought those supplements. But for me the direction taken is a little too weird. 

Ps: I am also happy to see material in french.

Thanks 

Fenhorn

Re: General questions about Mechatron and Mutant Year 0

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 19:05

Is Mechatron compatible with Mutant year 0?
You can combine Mechatron with MYZ and you can combine Genlab Alpha with MYZ and you can combine them all. The specific campaigns in Genlab Alpha and Mechatron can be enhanced with the help with other the other books. MYZ is the "base" game so to speak and it's campaign can be played with animal mutants and robots 100% (and later on, the humans).
Could I use parts of it as a new/other sector or Ark?
Mechatron has its own campaign. After that campaign is over, the robots for one reason or the other (depends on how the campaign ends) end up in the Zone and there the robots acts as a new class if you wan't to play MYZ. There is a chapter in the Mechatron book on how to deal with robots if using them with MYZ.

Are the extra  "sectors" PDfs for backers available for non backers? Are those sectors format the same as previously or a little more detailed? 
All the special sectors will end up in so called Zone Compendiums eventually. All special sectors are have the same format, although some are larger than others.

Is it possible to play Mechatron as humans? or augmented humans?
No. The Mechatron campaign is all about robots that becomes aware and what they do when that happens. Biomechatronics (i.e. cybernetics, sort of) will be part of the next "class" expansion for MYZ (it will be called Mutant: Elysium) and will have non-mutated humans as the "playable class".

As I don't have much time to prepare sessions and adventures can I find somewhere a few adventures or detailed seeds of adventures on the web?
The game almost plays itself, especially the base game (MYZ). You don't need to prepare that much or at all. If you play the Mechatron campaign, you will of course need to read through the specific scene that the players will play, but other than that no. But as in all RPGs, you can of course expand the campaign and that will of course take preparations.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

cocolebelge
Topic Author

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 19:18

Is Mechatron compatible with Mutant year 0?
You can combine Mechatron with MYZ and you can combine Genlab Alpha with MYZ and you can combine them all. The specific campaigns in Genlab Alpha and Mechatron can be enhanced with the help with other the other books. MYZ is the "base" game so to speak and it's campaign can be played with animal mutants and robots 100% (and later on, the humans).
Could I use parts of it as a new/other sector or Ark?
Mechatron has its own campaign. After that campaign is over, the robots for one reason or the other (depends on how the campaign ends) end up in the Zone and there the robots acts as a new class if you wan't to play MYZ. There is a chapter in the Mechatron book on how to deal with robots if using them with MYZ.

Are the extra  "sectors" PDfs for backers available for non backers? Are those sectors format the same as previously or a little more detailed? 
All the special sectors will end up in so called Zone Compendiums eventually. All special sectors are have the same format, although some are larger than others.

Is it possible to play Mechatron as humans? or augmented humans?
No. The Mechatron campaign is all about robots that becomes aware and what they do when that happens. Biomechatronics (i.e. cybernetics, sort of) will be part of the next "class" expansion for MYZ (it will be called Mutant: Elysium) and will have non-mutated humans as the "playable class".

As I don't have much time to prepare sessions and adventures can I find somewhere a few adventures or detailed seeds of adventures on the web?
The game almost plays itself, especially the base game (MYZ). You don't need to prepare that much or at all. If you play the Mechatron campaign, you will of course need to read through the specific scene that the players will play, but other than that no. But as in all RPGs, you can of course expand the campaign and that will of course take preparations.
Thanks for the answers. 

I guess I will start with Mutant Y 0. Will add a few locations and of course if at some point Robots end up in the zone that could be great and add to the meta plot and setting.
I have seen 2 locations on Drivetrhu. Any idea on how good they are and if they are diverse and add other stuff to the base game?
I will perhaps  play a "prequel" or the parrallel Mechatron campaign after my MY0 campaign. This could bring an answer perhaps to players why Robots appeared in the zone :)
About Gen Lab and strange mutated animals it's not my cup of tea. The direction chosen is too weird for me. :)
Do you know if there is free material on the Web to enhance our game experience? I will also need to check french black book forum, but usually I never find any thing on french forums. There is always more "emulation" on En forums for some reason. But perhaps they will edit french only material likethey do sometimes for other games.

Fenhorn

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 20:11

There are two special sectors sold separately on DriveThru and two Zone Compendiums. The two ZCs contains four special sectors each and also contains some new rules. ZC1 has rules for long distance travelling (land travels between two zones) and a monster generator (always fun to play with). One of the special sectors introduces the Saurians, a reptilian race. A race that could be used as a long term enemy if the GM wants to. ZC2 has rules for water exploring and its four special sectors are all ocean based. Of the two single special sectors, The Doom Sphere is the better one (according to me). It involves a cult that uses an old arena for something "really fun". To me it seems that the two ZCs are more price worthy than the single ones (since they both contains four special sectors).

I started to play MYZ first and then took a break and played Genlab Alpha. Then we played MYZ and Genlab Alpha together and took a break again to play Mechatron. And after Mechatron we played on, now with Animal Mutants and Robots as additional classes to choose from for the players. We have again taken a break from that campaign and are now playing Mutant: Elysium. After that we will play on with our MYZ campaign but with the difference that the players may also play non-mutated humans.

I think it actually is perfect to play some MYZ first, with whatever classes you have access to and then playing the robot campaign later. The Genlab Alpha is a little bit strange. It deals with mutated animals which is funny of course, but at the same time it is a very dark campaign. Genlab Alpha also contains five new roles that can be played by both mutants and animal mutants and also new talents and monsters. So even if you don't like the class, it is still useful.

I have seen some people uploading maps and stuffs over at MYZ groups on G+ and FB. I have seen a french guy around (mostly at G+) or at least I think he is french.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore