ConnorsRPG
Topic Author

Aliens - Semi-Intelligences

Mon 27 Feb 2017, 13:16

So, I love the idea of adding more aliens to the game (let alone use this system for Star Wars), and I was wondering how in fact you do play semi-intelligents etc.
Player section = refer to Ch10.
Ch10 has a little sidebar saying it is possible, but NO game rules on how this is done? Do players simply use the whole stat blocks for them? That doesn't seem like a lot of fun. Building an alien PC should be cool :)

ConnorsRPG
Topic Author

Re: Aliens - Semi-Intelligences

Mon 27 Feb 2017, 14:21

Sorry. I tht I was posting this under Rules Forum. (Mods - feel free to move if you can).

Kosta
Site Admin

Sat 04 Mar 2017, 16:32

So, I love the idea of adding more aliens to the game (let alone use this system for Star Wars), and I was wondering how in fact you do play semi-intelligents etc.
Player section = refer to Ch10.
Ch10 has a little sidebar saying it is possible, but NO game rules on how this is done? Do players simply use the whole stat blocks for them? That doesn't seem like a lot of fun. Building an alien PC should be cool :)
Hi!
We haven't added specific rules for making semi-intelligent PCs. It's not one of the main themes of the game :) But we don't want to stop people from doing that so if you want to in your group I'd just suggest that you/the group decides if you want to use the fixed attributes and their special abilities as talents and then just use the normal rules to create PC (with som restriction regarding talents, gear etc, based on the text in chapter 10.
For example a semi-intelligent should have to be the property of another PC (at least in the eyes of the legal system on Coriolis), just like animals and pets. That of course could lead to som excellent role-playing :)
Fria Ligan

Aryxbez

Mon 03 Jul 2017, 12:01

Recently bought the game, and found this to be my burning question as well. Seems strange to have teased rules for this, telling the GM to go to a chapter, only to find a sidebar that's just a whole bunch of flavor about it. I appreciate you kinda answered it here, but I can see that being a bit of a downer for people wasting their time if this is something they had to trawl through the book for during character creation at the session itself.

The whole "you can if you want to" is true of anything in an RPG, and so it seems a bit non-committal of an answer, and strange the book posits there was rules for it...only to give none. This is kinda something people will want the rules to handle for them, so they don't have to do the work of balancing and such.

As-is, Nekatra is the only worthwhile race to be chosen, and that's because it's a complete & broken Combat Monster. With 21 HP (Human Max of 16, 4 Damage base claws, berserk for an extra melee, so it can reliably triple-Quad-Quintuple (once it gets Extra Arm Morph). This is also their two-sided coin of "Broken" in that they're a mostly better combat monster than any other Meleer, but they're also the role of the DMF or "Dumb Melee Fighter" in that it's also they really can contribute to the party (fight/sneak/perception staples).

So while you'd totally want one on your team...the player is definitely gonna be sitting in a corner for most Roleplaying Challenges. Great to give to a casual player who'll be doing that anyway, but a kinda terrible design to have otherwise.

Jishosan

Sat 15 Jul 2017, 06:53

As-is, Nekatra is the only worthwhile race to be chosen, and that's because it's a complete & broken Combat Monster. With 21 HP (Human Max of 16, 4 Damage base claws, berserk for an extra melee, so it can reliably triple-Quad-Quintuple (once it gets Extra Arm Morph). This is also their two-sided coin of "Broken" in that they're a mostly better combat monster than any other Meleer, but they're also the role of the DMF or "Dumb Melee Fighter" in that it's also they really can contribute to the party (fight/sneak/perception staples).

My understanding for Nekatra is that the stats you quoted were for Legion Nekatra, not all Nekatra. I would ONLY allow players to utilize the base Nekatra template. But, aside from that, here is how I house-ruled them as templates.

First, there is no class restriction for any of them. There will be some disadvantages for some races in terms of classes / roles they can fulfill, but I assume a greater degree of variance in ability for semi-intelligent races, from feral to near-human, rather than the narrower range of human attributes. The restriction to behavior still applies, and semi-intelligent races must be registered as possession of human or humanite characters in order to prevent capture, even if they are fully intelligent and capable. 

EDIT: All Semi-Intelligent races begin with Reputation 0.

Nekatra
Attribute Points: 15
Adjustments: Strength +1 (Max 6), Agility +1 (Max 5), Wits -1, Empathy -1
Movement: +6
Armor: As Listed
Skills: 8, add Melee Combat to Concept Skills
Weapons: As listed
Abilities: Throat bite as listed. 
Nekatra Talent Options: Feral Hunger

Nekatra get a -2 Manipulation Modifier for any action that is not threatening, unless Manipulation is a Concept Skill. Additionally, they are unable to utilize standard firearms effectively, and must purchase custom weapons, which increases the weapon cost by 50%. Attempting to use an unmodified ranged weapon is a -2 Ranged Combat modifier. 

Skavara
Attributes: 14
Adjustments: None
Movement: +4
Skills: 10, Add Manipulation or Observation to Concept Skills

Abilities: Sniff as Listed
Skavara Talent Option: Stench
Skavara with the Language Modulate Cybernetic Implant talent may also speak normally rather than barking or yapping speech. 

Ekilibri
Attributes: 14
Adjustments: Strength -1 (Max 3), Agility +1 (Max 6), Wits -1
Movement: +0
Skills: 10, Add Infiltration or Observation to Concept Skills
Abilities: Agility (+2 Dexterity Modifer for jump checks), Night Vision
Ekilibri Talent Options: Battle Cry
The small size of the Ekilibri combined with it's natural flexibility allows them to enter areas that other creatures could not. It may move or hide in an space that is 0.5m or larger.  
Ekilibri are considered small targets for purposes of ranged combat.