cwilsontrull
Topic Author

Ghost in the Graveyard - Roll20 game

Fri 06 Jan 2017, 23:41

Hey fellow Loopers!

I want to document my online Roll20 game of Tales from the Loop here. I setting up the players now, we are nailing a date starting this month, and the plan is to have a game a month over the next few months. Ill be recording them and posting the links here, but I also want to share some of the background around the mystery the players will unravel. 

Here is a bit of history of the major protagonist, Dr. Maya Sokolova: (I apologize in advance for any mistranslations from Russian)

Dr. Maya Sokolova is a neurologist that believes the Magnetrine effect is the key to a mutation that could eventually benefit mankind. It was her theory that prolonged exposure to the Magnetrine effect can alter the electrical current within the human body causing the neurons within the brain to “remap” itself with amazing side affects. 

Maya began in Russia in 1970, documenting the workers on the original Project Осьминог (Os’minog? - Octopus), Magnetrine submersibles. Her findings showed that the workers with high exposure to Magnetrine engines complained of migraines and their vision clouded with темные щупальца (temnyye shchupal'tsa?) “dark tendrils”. Her research on the subjects found substantial growth of new neurons along the frontal lobe, a process that should have peaked around age 3. Before her eyes, the neurons were “remapping” themselves and formed nest like structures in their brains at a staggering rate. 

While researching the nest phenomenon, Maya stumbled across a treatment that “activated” the nests, producing extraordinary results in 1% of the subjects. Three adults (one male, two female) subjects began to exhibit signs of Telekinesis, Telepathy, and ESP. Although the measure was almost negligible, the signs were there nonetheless. Maya took her findings to her superiors, seeing this as a way help fund research. The project however was flushed. Maya’s findings were not reproducible on large scale, and two of the subjects had died. The third adult subject had a psychotic breakdown and escaped the research facility. She In fear for her and her daughter's (Alyona) safety, Dr Maya Sokolova sold her family estate for a quarter of its worth and disappeared.

Maya resurfaced again in the Pacific Northwest four years later. She purchased a failing Lumber town (Hunter’s Mill - then with a population of less than 45), under the dummy corporation name of Tretcher Mill. Keeping a few of the management (smart enough and susceptible enough) to run the mill and rebuild the town, recruiting families from all over the Northwest. By the end of 1974, the town of Buckler Washington was born. In the ruins of the old mill, now hidden on ‘protected land’, Maya built what she calls a Magnetrine Resonance Generator (aka, the Mirror) based off the original Russian designs. She keeps it focused on the town, and posing as the town’s doctor, Maya monitors the results with her subjects. 

Now, some of the children of Buckler are beginning to complain of migraines and clouded vision. 
Last edited by cwilsontrull on Fri 13 Jan 2017, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.

pelorus

Re: Ghost in the Graveyard - Roll20 game

Mon 09 Jan 2017, 15:31

Oh, I like this. This brings the Loop in line with my previous published game  - The 23rd Letter. Psychics and conspiracies and there was also a Scandinavian project, ripe for the harvesting. Have a read of The Projects Sourcebook from this link: http://www.lategaming.com/fredownloads/
--
Have a look at "Nor Gloom Of Night" for T2K4 (A post-apocalyptic setting of hope)
CZTERY - 4 Mystery Scenarios for T2K4
Twilight Tangents - psychics and zombies for T2k4
http://www.lategaming.com/buy-the-books/

Björn Hellqvist

Mon 09 Jan 2017, 16:56

Nice story hook. Minor nitpick: I believe the surname should be "Sokolova".
My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos, ruined dreams, this wasted land.

cwilsontrull
Topic Author

Fri 13 Jan 2017, 23:47

Nice story hook. Minor nitpick: I believe the surname should be "Sokolova".
Thanks for that.. Ill update my notes. 

cwilsontrull
Topic Author

Fri 13 Jan 2017, 23:53

The group has created their characters, and I am very excited as none of the players picked characters I thought they would pick.

We have two Bookworms, a Rocker, and a Jock (which is a total surprise as she normally plays elves and wizards). Our first game is this weekend (Jan 15th). Im recording the session and will make it available here (including Chapter Zero: Character Creation) once Im done post production. 

Wish me luck, and Ill see you all on the other side.

ChaosMorning

Sat 14 Jan 2017, 02:32

Well, let us know how it goes!

omnibro

Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:59

Any update? Would love to know how it turned out.

cwilsontrull
Topic Author

Sun 22 Jan 2017, 03:02

First session completed.... 

https://soundcloud.com/c-wilson-trull/t ... and-chap-0

I should warn that this chapter I took an odd approach. The group Im playing with is a group Ive been playing D&D with for some time. To introduce them to the mechanics of the game, I decided to write up a quick scenario of them getting together for an after school Role Playing Club and playing a game called Labyrinths & Lizards. It helped them understand the basics of Roll20 and the game itself, so that when we do dive into the main story, we don't waste time on "What skill should I use?" and "I don't understand Items, how do they work?". It also introduced them all to the character Joshua, who will become a plot hook later on in the story. 

I should have posted about this to begin with, I was just so excited to post our first game. I think it went rather well, and I cant wait until the next.

RachelBostwick

Wed 25 Jan 2017, 04:21

You have a great voice for narration. Can't wait to hear the next session!

cwilsontrull
Topic Author

Thu 26 Jan 2017, 23:52

You have a great voice for narration. Can't wait to hear the next session!
Awww.. *blush* Ahthankya.