Björn Hellqvist

Re: Problems of Setting

Sun 25 Dec 2016, 19:24

The magnetrine tech has been around for some 30 years, and useful robotics for 15 years or so, so I imagine that any school textbook in physics would explain the tech. Geeks would know about it indeed, so any attempt to handwave it away will leave players frustrated.
My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos, ruined dreams, this wasted land.

Jynk

Mon 26 Dec 2016, 05:39

Off the topic of the science stuff, but.. what made you guys decide to make the kids unable to be killed? That takes away some of the danger originally presented in this world.

EDIT: I'm not sure what the lists of ten movies, songs, etc are supposed to be for. I get the tech companies, but are the movies references for people to watch to get an idea of the world of The Loop (because Star Wars seems pretty far into the future for that) or movies that the Kids might watch during Mysteries?
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire." - Charles Bukowski

pelorus

Mon 26 Dec 2016, 09:10

Off the topic of the science stuff, but.. what made you guys decide to make the kids unable to be killed? That takes away some of the danger originally presented in this world.
I think it's genre-appropriate. 
In most of the movie influences, the children do not die. There is one in Stranger Things but then they aren't a protagonist, being an older person.  Older people die all the time. And children can die off screen (Stand By Me).
Look at the early Harry Potter movies for inspiration.  Peril, injury, stress all present. Ron gets hurt playing Wizards Chess. Harry breaks an arm during a botched Quidditch match. But when Cedric dies it's a shocker. 
--
Have a look at "Nor Gloom Of Night" for T2K4 (A post-apocalyptic setting of hope)
CZTERY - 4 Mystery Scenarios for T2K4
Twilight Tangents - psychics and zombies for T2k4
http://www.lategaming.com/buy-the-books/

Jynk

Mon 26 Dec 2016, 11:25

I think it's genre-appropriate. 
In most of the movie influences, the children do not die. There is one in Stranger Things but then they aren't a protagonist, being an older person.  Older people die all the time. And children can die off screen (Stand By Me).
Look at the early Harry Potter movies for inspiration.  Peril, injury, stress all present. Ron gets hurt playing Wizards Chess. Harry breaks an arm during a botched Quidditch match. But when Cedric dies it's a shocker. 
Barb was barely an older person, being part of the group that three of the older main characters came from. Or are we just focusing on Eleven and the boys? 
I don't think the point is to kill the Kids, but the real danger of their actions should be considered and made aware to the Kids, if not by game mechanics, then possibly storytelling. This might be more of a homebrew thing, though.

Björn Hellqvist

Mon 26 Dec 2016, 11:52

The GM could omit the information that player characters can't be killed... Kill off an NPC (or make it disappear, indicating a grisly fate), and the players won't act like there's no risk involved.
My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos, ruined dreams, this wasted land.

Jynk

Mon 26 Dec 2016, 13:15

The GM could omit the information that player characters can't be killed... Kill off an NPC (or make it disappear, indicating a grisly fate), and the players won't act like there's no risk involved.
You make a good point. There's another, perhaps lesser known, movie that Wil Wheaton was in called Toy Soldiers. Wil's character attempts using a gun in the movie and, despite being a main character, is killed because of it. (Guess he failed his weapons check.) So, I agree that killing an NPC or causing non-lethal harm to a player character will help with putting across the idea that there is risk in the Mystery.

EDIT: Another subject change, but there are a lot of pics of people in cars in the book. In America, the legal driving age is 16 (too old to be a character in the game), so what is the legal age for driving in Sweden?

Björn Hellqvist

Mon 26 Dec 2016, 14:05

For cars, it's 18. You could begin driving classes at 17 years and 9 months of age, and try to pass the tests (theory and practice; all more demanding than in thr US) when you turned 18. Since some 15 years now, you can begin practice when you've turned 16. 15 years olds could drive "EPA-tractors", old cars shortened (room for just the driver and two passengers) and converted to making only 30 kph (19 mph), but frequently fixed to manage 40-50 kph.

Jynk

Mon 26 Dec 2016, 14:25

For cars, it's 18. You could begin driving classes at 17 years and 9 months of age, and try to pass the tests (theory and practice; all more demanding than in thr US) when you turned 18. Since some 15 years now, you can begin practice when you've turned 16. 15 years olds could drive "EPA-tractors", old cars shortened (room for just the driver and two passengers) and converted to making only 30 kph (19 mph), but frequently fixed to manage 40-50 kph.
Are the shortened cars what appears in the pics or are those perhaps "borrowed" cars? I mean, I'm not opposed to older kids being allowed, sparingly, in the game. They have their advantages. I'm just trying to suss out the car usage for the game. There is a clear pick of someone standing up out of a sunroof and using a flare to attract a robot. It's hard to tell the age of the person, and even harder to see the driver. I know the source material isn't 100% part of the world for the game, but I'm not opposed to the idea of being able to have groups of Kids get a hold of vehicles in the right circumstances.

Björn Hellqvist

Mon 26 Dec 2016, 15:41

The car in the illustration is a VW Golf (Rabbit in the US). Popular small car in the 80's.

Just because you aren't allowed to drive before 18 doesn't mean that you can't... Kids in the sticks are known to joyride every now and then.

pelorus

Mon 26 Dec 2016, 18:11

Barb was barely an older person, being part of the group that three of the older main characters came from. Or are we just focusing on Eleven and the boys? 
I don't think the point is to kill the Kids, but the real danger of their actions should be considered and made aware to the Kids, if not by game mechanics, then possibly storytelling. This might be more of a homebrew thing, though.
I'd be thinking that Eleven and the Three Boys is a basic gaming group without having to worry about the older kids; they're playing a different game.
The "Can't be killed" could be abused, I suppose. So as a GM, I would be inclined to have them seem as if they're killed like in the old Cliffhanger serials but they can re-appear later. IF I feel the player has abused the privilege.
--
Have a look at "Nor Gloom Of Night" for T2K4 (A post-apocalyptic setting of hope)
CZTERY - 4 Mystery Scenarios for T2K4
Twilight Tangents - psychics and zombies for T2k4
http://www.lategaming.com/buy-the-books/