ierthling

Re: Influences [Books, TV Shows, Movies, Art]

Fri 16 Dec 2016, 18:05

If you haven't encountered it yet, you guys should see "Let the Right One In" (the Swedish version, not the American remake). It's set in Sweden in the early 80s, and although it's horror rather than sci-fi (the plot centers around a child vampire), I think the combination of everyday 80s Sweden and unsettling supernatural mystery sets a tone that would be just right for TftL. A lot of it is from the kids' point of view as well, and of course the imagery is great for conjuring up Sweden in that era. It's also just an amazingly good movie.

menschi

Fri 16 Dec 2016, 22:17

Don't forget the film "Super 8", although it's set in 1979. Just like "Stranger Things", does a great job of capturing a bunch of interesting, funny and dorky kids on an adventure. It even has a crazy pyromanic kid, like that one friend we all had but were a little bit afraid of. :)
"His name is Bobo. He knows no mercy."
-- Simon White-Thatch Potentloins (a/k/a Peanuts the chimpanzee)

starkllr

Sat 17 Dec 2016, 02:25

A few other thoughts that occur to me as far as influences:

Gremlins is a little more violent (and the characters are a bit older), but it's a good fit as far as time period and mood.

Another show that comes to mind is "The Adventures of Pete and Pete." I actually think that's a great fit.

Björn Hellqvist

Sat 17 Dec 2016, 04:54

I checked IMDb for some info on "Stranger Things", and found a list on movies that inspired that series. While the overlap with the world of the Loop is only partial, there's still some useful tips on movies that provide ideas for scenarios and campaigns.

The list (edited):
Cujo
E.T.
Altered states
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Poltergeist
Stand by Me
The Goonies
The Lost Boys
WarGames

It can also be argued that Lost might provide inspiration.
My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos, ruined dreams, this wasted land.

Mooell

Sat 17 Dec 2016, 05:09

If you haven't encountered it yet, you guys should see "Let the Right One In" (the Swedish version, not the American remake).
My main images of 1980s Sweden all come from this movie and it definitely fits perfectly into my idea of a horror-based campaign for this game.

Björn Hellqvist

Sat 17 Dec 2016, 06:16

If you haven't encountered it yet, you guys should see "Let the Right One In" (the Swedish version, not the American remake).
My main images of 1980s Sweden all come from this movie and it definitely fits perfectly into my idea of a horror-based campaign for this game.
Why not go to the source material, the novels by John Ajvide Lindqvist? While not directly appliciable to the Loop setting, they still give an idea about Swedish life and customs as filtered through mystery and horror.
My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos, ruined dreams, this wasted land.

ierthling

Sat 17 Dec 2016, 18:32

Thanks Björn - I actually didn't realize it was based on a novel. Have they been translated? [edit - I see now your link is to the English translations. Thanks!]

I still think, though, that the visual element of movies filmed or set in Sweden in the 80s is pretty helpful for those of us who weren't there. But I will look into the book!

differentsmoke

Sat 17 Dec 2016, 18:51

Greetings Everyone,

I wanted to share a setting that was basically one of the factors influencing me to back this project. More than classical 80's films (has anyone mentioned the Goonies yet?) or revivals like Super 8 or Stranger Things (all great), it was this sort of revival comic book by Brian K. Vaughn (of SAGA and Y The Last Man fame), Cliff Chiang and Matt Wilson called Paper Girls.

[img=664x363]http://sktchd.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... Header.jpg[/img]

It follows the bizarre adventure 4 newspaper delivery girls embark upon in the hours before dawn, the day after Halloween 1988. Gorgeous art, bizarre engaging story and a cast of strong female characters. Highly recommended.

RebelliousEwok

Sat 17 Dec 2016, 20:50

besides the obvious answers like E.T., Stranger Things and Gremlins I have a feeling John Hughes films are gonna be a heavy influence in my games

Bub

Sun 18 Dec 2016, 12:57

One of the hallmark swedish kids shows in the 80s was "dårfinkar & dönickar". It gives a peek into the kind of environments you were likely run into growing up a child in the 80s in Sweden.
It's available on youtube here:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrnhbmn8adI

It's in Swedish so it would be a graphical experience unless someone knows if there's a way to combine a subtitle file from another source with a youtube video.