pelorus

Re: Influences [Books, TV Shows, Movies, Art]

Fri 30 Dec 2016, 00:51

Trivia: the movie "Let the Right One In" is set in Blackeberg, a suburb halfway between the Loop and Stockholm.
The first question I got from my gaming group was  -  "Can the system handle "Let the Right One In"?"
And yes it can. I wrote a short scenario which allows for non-supernatural vampires.
--
Have a look at "Nor Gloom Of Night" for T2K4 (A post-apocalyptic setting of hope)
CZTERY - 4 Mystery Scenarios for T2K4
Twilight Tangents - psychics and zombies for T2k4
http://www.lategaming.com/buy-the-books/

Jynk

Sat 31 Dec 2016, 05:13

I just learned about something called Silverpilen - a ghost train in Stockholm. That would be an interesting Mystery for the kids. What other ghost stories might work for a horror-themed campaign? Might be fun to do something scary for Halloween.
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire." - Charles Bukowski

ysarius

Sat 31 Dec 2016, 05:40

I guess that it could be possible to be inspired by the movie GOOSEBUMPS : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cn716jv61s

Björn Hellqvist

Sat 31 Dec 2016, 06:20

I just learned about something called Silverpilen - a ghost train in Stockholm. That would be an interesting Mystery for the kids. What other ghost stories might work for a horror-themed campaign? Might be fun to do something scary for Halloween.
Story hook: there are rumours of a secret extension of the Green Line at the end station at Hässelby strand, connecting the Loop with the Stockholm metro. The station itself is above ground, but an unused (?) track leads to a locked gate. If there's such a tunnel, it's about 8 km (5 miles) long. Has the mysterious "Silver Arrow" train any connection with it, and what about reports of strange creatures emerging from service hatches and air vents at Hässelby strand?

Silverpilen
Stockholm metro

Hässelby strand's location on the Mälarö map:

My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos, ruined dreams, this wasted land.

Jynk

Sat 31 Dec 2016, 06:50

Thank you, Björn! I like that idea for a story hook to use the train in. There are tracks that run through my home town and they do go by an old unused station. Being from a smaller town in Texas, the station is more Old West styled than urban, but still might work in a way as a depot for a ghost train, especially if the tracks lead into a gated area as you suggested. Would the Silverpilen be considered an urban legend? I'm thinking that urban legends and ghost stories of that vein might work better than straight up horror of the 80s slasher films.

Björn Hellqvist

Sat 31 Dec 2016, 07:08

There are urban legends; see the Wikipedia article link in my post. Even I, who grew up 200 miles from Stockholm, heard about them when I was young.
My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos, ruined dreams, this wasted land.

Jynk

Sat 31 Dec 2016, 07:39

I will definitely check the link out. I mostly meant in general urban legends vs slasher movie horror for scary Mysteries. I know America has a lot of urban legends, but I'd love to learn more about Swedish urban legends and how they differ and compare.

Björn Hellqvist

Mon 02 Jan 2017, 00:47

I just watched "Super 8", and that movie is definitely inspiring when it comes to how to handle kids and adults. There are some things that makes the story work better in an US Setting than a Swedish, though.

ysarius

Tue 03 Jan 2017, 02:25

An other inspiration should come from Naoki Urasawa's 20th Century Boys : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20th_Century_Boys

There is a cross story with children (1969) and their adult counterpart (1997).

ysarius

Thu 05 Jan 2017, 00:28

We could also take the  D.A.R.Y.L. (1985) movie : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088979/