aka_fatman
Topic Author

Soundtrack From The Loop

Sun 27 Nov 2016, 08:26

If "Stranger Things" has taught us anything, it's that the bizarre events that happen in the 80's can only be overshadowed by a killer soundtrack. Now, I'm hoping there'll be a selection of music to accompany the game. Sure, there'll be Swedish bands (ABBA, Roxette and Europe) coupled with others of the era (A-ha, Queen, Elton John, Toto, David Bowie) but what else should we expect for the game? A lot of synth? More rock 'n' roll?

Kalle_Katulu

Re: Soundtrack From The Loop

Sun 27 Nov 2016, 14:39

Maby there is a difference between a group of players and gm who has experienced the 80 as a young kid, and a younger group that had this experience.
Me and my group was kids in the 80 so this is so much nostalgia involved.
I use music and soundeffects in my gameing as an important tool to create and express the mood and setting.
I dont use music with vocals. It has a tendensy to take away the focus. Im very carefull with powerful music. I onley use it in the climax of the story and very stressfull and heavy battle.

So what kind of music would I use then?
80s cheesy synt music from movies. Also symphonic music from movies (no matter from when. Symphonic film scores is timeless).
I would also use pop music from that time to sett the age of the setting (like play old jazz from the 20s when I play Call of Cthulhu). I would with this also be carefull and just use it when change scene and give the scene description. In those parts I would play some obscure pop melodies and some well known but long since we heard.
The famous and well known stuff would be anything from a Hits of the 80s type of collection. But the obscure ones that no one most likely hasnt heard but got a super 80 feel, is a joyfull and fun tresure hunt.

I would like to mention the soundtrack to the movie Nitht Of The Comet it is super 80s. Of course The Goonies soundtrack is exelent.

RachelBostwick

Sun 27 Nov 2016, 22:27

The Stranger Things soundtrack is amazing. I love it. My favorite song on it is the second track on the first disk. I've been enjoying other albums by the duo who did the music as well.

In the same vein, I enjoy most of what the Future 80s label puts and a great band called Robots With Rayguns. If you use the site Groupees.com, they put out retrowave bundles fairly regularly and I get a lot of my 80s nostalgia music that way for great prices.

If you want ambient sounds for your campaigns, is anyone familiar with the website https://mynoise.net/ ? She offers dynamic sound portraits that are phenomenal. Worth making a donation to get all the premium features of the site. She also has an iOS app and I paid for all the sounds on there.

I like the Goonies soundtrack, and sometimes I like the soundtracks from dark fantasy from the 80s, like Dark Crystal or Never Ending story. Maybe not appropriate for this particular game but of course I adore the Labyrinth soundtrack from 87. What else is good?

aka_fatman
Topic Author

Mon 28 Nov 2016, 00:48

So what kind of music would I use then?
80s cheesy synt music from movies. Also symphonic music from movies (no matter from when. Symphonic film scores is timeless).
I would also use pop music from that time to sett the age of the setting (like play old jazz from the 20s when I play Call of Cthulhu). I would with this also be carefull and just use it when change scene and give the scene description. In those parts I would play some obscure pop melodies and some well known but long since we heard.
The famous and well known stuff would be anything from a Hits of the 80s type of collection. But the obscure ones that no one most likely hasnt heard but got a super 80 feel, is a joyfull and fun tresure hunt.
Yeah, I think the musical scores will work best, with a smattering of 80's songs along the way. Too many songs and it may distract the players and too few would be an opportunity missed. But any chance to inject a scene involving a car radio (or whatever) and it's going to be songs galore.

My default game is Call of Cthulhu too. We alternate from jazz scores, to Cryo Chamber Dark Ambient-type stuff. A smattering is good, to set the scene but too much gets distracting.
I would like to mention the soundtrack to the movie Nitht Of The Comet it is super 80s. Of course The Goonies soundtrack is exelent.
Yes! "Night of the Comet"! I'd forgotten about that.

aka_fatman
Topic Author

Mon 28 Nov 2016, 00:57

The Stranger Things soundtrack is amazing. I love it. My favorite song on it is the second track on the first disk. I've been enjoying other albums by the duo who did the music as well.
I do love the "Stranger Things" soundtrack. Funny, I was thinking of doing an 80's era campaign anyway so this Kickstarter came at an interesting time. I was going to adapt a Call of Cthulhu or a Heaven & Earth (maybe even Bubblegumshoe RPG) to do it so this might be a better way to approach it.
In the same vein, I enjoy most of what the Future 80s label puts and a great band called Robots With Rayguns. If you use the site Groupees.com, they put out retrowave bundles fairly regularly and I get a lot of my 80s nostalgia music that way for great prices.
Alright, I don't know Robots With Rayguns. Great band name.
If you want ambient sounds for your campaigns, is anyone familiar with the website https://mynoise.net/ ? She offers dynamic sound portraits that are phenomenal. Worth making a donation to get all the premium features of the site. She also has an iOS app and I paid for all the sounds on there.
Oh, cool. Yeah, I'll check it out.

aka_fatman
Topic Author

Mon 28 Nov 2016, 05:23

Update: @Boulderdash suggested that Mitch Murder (a.k.a. Johan Bengtsson) would make a good addition to the - so far, hypothetical - soundtrack for "Tales From The Loop". Mitch Murder is known for the music in "Kung Fury" and "Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number".

Here's his "Interceptor":

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hugowO0sSrM

aka_fatman
Topic Author

Mon 28 Nov 2016, 13:25

Update: Shawn Hilliard from Kickstarter has suggested Disasterpiece (soundtrack for "It Follows" and "Fez"). I'm sure you'd agree that this would make a great addition for the sinister background music for those tense moments in a scenario.

Theme from "It Follows":

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i1QwC-y3XMc

Svante Landgraf

Wed 30 Nov 2016, 14:01

I'd look into the whole New RetroWave scene (or however it's called) with bands like Kavinsky and Droid Bishop for more of that stuff. Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhCb8Z4OQqc
(sound of spatiotemporal holocaust)

Kalle_Katulu

Wed 30 Nov 2016, 20:29

Its so much synth soundtracs from non existing bad 80 movies on bandcam. Take a listen to all the retro gemes.
https://bandcamp.com/tag/80%27s?artist=2744611149

There will definitive be lots off music from this list on my gamenights :)

aka_fatman
Topic Author

Sun 11 Dec 2016, 09:10

I'd look into the whole New RetroWave scene (or however it's called) with bands like Kavinsky and Droid Bishop for more of that stuff. Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhCb8Z4OQqc
Been away for about a week but I finally had a chance to check out Droid Bishop (is that an "Aliens" reference?). Anyway, I got about 3 tracks in and I must say: I love it!