Afet
Topic Author

Malaren setting Map

Thu 13 Jul 2017, 01:14

Hello.
The map of the Malaren island setting in the rulebook is the facility map, which is explicitely "not approved for general distribuition", as it contains restricted information, such as the locations of access tunnels etc.  I was wondering if there is a version of the map for the island setting that is not the facility map. In other words, is there a map of the setting as the kids would know it? I'd like to be able to give the players a map so they can orient themselves.
"Siempre imaginé que el paraíso sería algún tipo de biblioteca". - Jorge Luis Borges

Björn Hellqvist

Re: Malaren setting Map

Sun 16 Jul 2017, 10:15

I could probably find such a map next week. I've been looking online, but vintage maps in that scale aren't easy to find for the area in question.
My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos, ruined dreams, this wasted land.

Karbonara

Sun 16 Jul 2017, 11:13

An option is probably to edit the existing map and remove the facility art.
---------------------------------

Rollspelens andra guldålder är här!

---------------------------------
Spelutvecklare, skribent, och Fria Ligan hang-around. (Det bara blev så.)

Afet
Topic Author

Tue 18 Jul 2017, 03:15

An option is probably to edit the existing map and remove the facility art.
That would not be easy. Surely the authors and editors have the original image from which they could just remove the layers with the tunnels, etc.
"Siempre imaginé que el paraíso sería algún tipo de biblioteca". - Jorge Luis Borges

Björn Hellqvist

Fri 28 Jul 2017, 17:22

I hope this map from 1999 can be of some use. It's a snapshot from a road atlas.

https://karhukissa.tumblr.com/post/1635 ... öarna-1999
My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos, ruined dreams, this wasted land.

Paul Baldowski

Sun 30 Jul 2017, 10:10

That's GREAT! I love that map. Is that a scan? Getting it a few inches to the left to cover Adelsö would be ideal - but great, nevertheless.

Björn Hellqvist

Sun 30 Jul 2017, 17:22

Nah, I just took a photo of an old map at a used book sellers.

Afet
Topic Author

Thu 03 Aug 2017, 21:39

Thanks for that. I adapted this from a Google map. It doesn't have that old-school feel that Bjorn Hellqvist's does, but it has the advantage of simplicity. It's a work in progress>
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sr31s8e3dqutn ... p.JPG?dl=0
Cheers,
Afet

owenmcg

Wed 01 Aug 2018, 09:19

Hey. I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but I created an A2 PDF map of the Mälaren Islands using a modern map. I printed out a version for my group so they could mark locations and generally scribble on it. Might be of use.

Another thing that I found handy was using a Google map to mark out locations; you can really quickly calculate the time it takes to cycle from A to B. Useful for giving the group a sense of scale for the islands themselves.