LupNi
Topic Author

Playing TftL with a single player

Mon 11 Jun 2018, 09:35

Hello!
I'm considering playing Tales from the Loop with a single player. Has anyone tried that before? What do you think are pitfalls to avoid or important things to focus on when you can't rely on interactions between PCs or teamwork?

baylox

Re: Playing TftL with a single player

Mon 11 Jun 2018, 10:25

Sounds intriguing! Out of curiosity, is the player an adult or a child? I haven't tried with a single player, but rather my two oldest kids and that worked well enough, but I also created a character for myself, as a a "skill resource" and to provide some story assistance if they'd get stuck, but is otherwise passive.

As for playing with a single player, I would myself probably ask the player to put some points in Charm or Contact, so that they can get help from others - either other kids or adults. Either that, or play out mysteries suited to that particular kid's skills, even if that could be limiting. Perhaps the kid has a dog that can assist with a few skills, such as Force, Charm or Investigate (under certain circumstances)?
Titta vad jag gjort! / Things I've created:
Coriolis - talanger och referensmaterial
Symbaroum - Unsung Heroes of the Abomitorium
Ur Varselklotet/TftL - mysterier & spelböcker

LupNi
Topic Author

Mon 11 Jun 2018, 13:42

In this case, the player would be an adult who is new to RPGs but enjoys stories of mystery/investigation. I wanted to use TftL as a gateway drug to RPGs :)

Good suggestions, I think giving the PC a friend that helps but is otherwise passive could be good. Or modifying the mystery to make sure most obstacles can be solved using the PC's best skill.

HeadWright

Tue 12 Jun 2018, 04:49

I've always viewed Tales From The Loop as collaborative story telling. You could both brainstorm a gang of kids, maybe three, and then introduce challenges. Both the GM and the Player would be able to guide the kids through the story, but most of the guidance would be the player.