cwilsontrull
Topic Author

Conditions

Tue 27 Dec 2016, 06:24

I have a question about Conditions. The rule stipulates; "You get a -1 on all dice rolls until it is healed. Additional Condition are cumulative; two Conditions give -2 on all dic rolls. If all four mild Conditions are marked and you take another Condition, you are Broken." 

Now if I understand, the player needs to make a 6 on any number of dice rolled to succeed. However if the player has a Condition (-1 to all dice rolls), this roll is not possible. The highest the PC would get would be a 5, so no successes. Also, the Conditions are stackable, meaning that the PC can suffer up to -4 on all dice rolled (at least until they are Broken). This however has the same consequence as just having one Condition. 

Should it be that the negative modifier be not applied to the total on the dice rolled, but instead the total number of dice allowed to be rolled by the PC. It would make it harder for the PC to get a success, but not impossible. 

ie, Hank is suffering from two Conditions; Exhausted and Scared. And no wonder, that mysterious black van has been chasing him all over town. He needs to make a Body roll to run across the schools baseball field without the headlights hitting him. Normally his Body is a 4 and he has the skill Move 2, giving him 6 dice to roll. However, due to the Conditions (-1 dice for Exhausted and -1 dice for Scared), he only is allowed to roll 4.

Jynk

Re: Conditions

Tue 27 Dec 2016, 06:47

I think they would be rolling one less die. So if they have a pool of 6, with one Condition, they'd only have a pool of 5, and so forth. The rules for combat and skill checks do need some tweaking before publication for sure.
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire." - Charles Bukowski

menschi

Tue 27 Dec 2016, 19:01

I was looking at the rules again when responding to another post suggesting hit points in addition to Conditions. You're not rolling less dice (although that's a nice mechanic in other systems). If you're suffering a condition, the only way you can get a 6 to succeed is to use items, your Pride (once per session), use your limited luck points to reroll, and to maybe get assistance from another character. I read this as the game mechanics are basically telling you you can't just keep running a character with Conditions into the ground and hope to keep succeeding. Hopefully this doesn't make that character sit on the sidelines for too long in that particular scene until they can meet with their Anchor and get healed, but that will make all the players be more careful to avoid gaining conditions in the first place.
"His name is Bobo. He knows no mercy."
-- Simon White-Thatch Potentloins (a/k/a Peanuts the chimpanzee)

Jynk

Tue 27 Dec 2016, 23:50

Would Anchors be the only healing mechanism, though? There should be some sort of way for the kids to help each other in healing, too, if the Kid has a good relationship with others in their group. Also, resting or items might be able to help, too, depending on the Condition.

cwilsontrull
Topic Author

Wed 28 Dec 2016, 00:09

Would Anchors be the only healing mechanism, though? There should be some sort of way for the kids to help each other in healing, too, if the Kid has a good relationship with others in their group. Also, resting or items might be able to help, too, depending on the Condition.
There is with Hideout.

menschi

Wed 28 Dec 2016, 00:13

The section on Anchors specifically said they cannot be other kids, and I'd like to playtest it a few times to see how that works, but I initially agree with it. Kids for the most part are not action heroes with hearts of steel, no matter how much they'd like to be. If they get hurt, they are most likely not going to keep pressing forward or will not be able to keep going and still perform optimally. If kids could be Anchors, the party would just set themselves up to Anchor each other and then just plow through everything almost without pause (you can't heal while in a Trouble situation, so even if they were able to Anchor each other, at least they'd have to retreat from danger to heal each other up). I could really only see this happening with twins, or very close siblings (since siblings usually fight, they tend to run to mom instead of each other).

That said, i could kind of see something like an iconic-like item that functions like a security blanket. It wouldn't get "deleted" between sessions. But, like Luck, the effectiveness of that item should reduce with age since hopefully teenagers have stopped sucking their thumb....
"His name is Bobo. He knows no mercy."
-- Simon White-Thatch Potentloins (a/k/a Peanuts the chimpanzee)

Jynk

Wed 28 Dec 2016, 00:32

I'm not meaning for the Anchors to be other Kids, but if there are siblings in the group or two that are very close, they should be able to, in theory, comfort away some of the Conditions (not all) to some degree. That might be more of something that's a homebrew than canon, though. I agree that a "security blanket" item probably would work, too, but that sort of falls into the iconic item a bit.

pelorus

Wed 28 Dec 2016, 00:46

OK...so is it -1 to the dice roll or -1 to the dice pool? The rules say it's a -1 to the dice roll but....

Because a -1 to the dice roll makes success impossible (if you need a 6 for a success).
Using a special item adds 2 dice to your pool (which you're going to fail anyway because of your -1)

Pride can give an automatic success.
Luck just gives you a re-roll. Still a failure with a -1 to the dice roll.
--
Have a look at "Nor Gloom Of Night" for T2K4 (A post-apocalyptic setting of hope)
CZTERY - 4 Mystery Scenarios for T2K4
Twilight Tangents - psychics and zombies for T2k4
http://www.lategaming.com/buy-the-books/

Jynk

Wed 28 Dec 2016, 01:06

One less die in the pool makes more sense, honestly.

Tomas
Site Admin

Wed 28 Dec 2016, 11:52

Hi!

Sorry for the slow reply. Yes, -1 means rolling one less die.
Fria Ligan