Björn Hellqvist
Topic Author

Suggestion for the "Things From the Flood" expansion

Mon 26 Dec 2016, 00:39

I know that the game is about kids aged 10-15 years old, but it would be great and widening the scope of the game if the TFtF expansion included rules for characters aged 16-18. That would make it possible for Kids who experienced Mysteries in the 80's to continue in the 90's and the strange things happening.

Mysteries could be written with guidelines on how to up the stakes for older Kids. Characters aged 10 in 1986 would be 18 in 1994, when the Loop was shut down. 18 is a good cut-off age, as most Swedish teenagers finish gymnasium and begin working or go on to studies at a högskola in another city. The age of innocence is over, and friends split up, perhaps forever.
My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos, ruined dreams, this wasted land.

Björn Hellqvist
Topic Author

Re: Suggestion for the "Things From the Flood" expansion

Tue 27 Dec 2016, 04:54

No one picking up on this?
My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos, ruined dreams, this wasted land.

Jynk

Tue 27 Dec 2016, 05:28

I'm all for the expansion allowing for older kids. The 90s were grittier, so that definitely could come into play, too. Not sure what a högskola is, though.
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire." - Charles Bukowski

cwilsontrull

Tue 27 Dec 2016, 05:33

I think adding the expansion to include the 16-18 years is a great idea. For example, looking back at the show Stranger Things, the older kids had an immensely different adventure than the younger ones. Different goals, different Troubles, harder to find Anchors & Relationships (older teens tend to be more loners). Im a GM that loves a good overall story arc, and taking the group from running around solving mysteries (what is old man Smithers doing at school late at night) to facing off against more menacing foes (old man Smithers is feeding teachers to a strange plant in the school basement!!) is what I love to do. 

The mechanics are there.. and they are so simplistically beautiful. I think it would just need to make a few adjustments to help PCs and GMs alike. As the PCs move out of the wonderment of the 10-15 age, they lose their luck (LOVE that btw).. would you then get something like negative luck points, "bad luck" as the older teens? Perhaps utilized as a dice pool for the GM - or to take away successes at key points in the story to represent just how hard life can be - or at least how hard older teenagers feel life can be. (Tommy had made that jump a thousand times, he could do it in his sleep. Just cut right down the alley, then up and over the fence, and he would be home free. (1 success, but he GM gives bad luck) His foot slipped, his sneaker got stuck in the chain link fence and he crashed hard on the pavement below. As Tommy wiped away the blood from his nose, he looked up into the faces of the jocks that had been chasing him. This was about to get ugly.)

pelorus

Tue 27 Dec 2016, 15:24

I like the Bad Luck idea.

In Zombi (a game I wrote ages ago) there was a panic modifier that started affecting dice rolls every time you were in the presence of more than one zombi
--
Have a look at "Nor Gloom Of Night" for T2K4 (A post-apocalyptic setting of hope)
CZTERY - 4 Mystery Scenarios for T2K4
Twilight Tangents - psychics and zombies for T2k4
http://www.lategaming.com/buy-the-books/

Nilo

Fri 30 Dec 2016, 11:57

Great stuff! I imagine Flood as a game about older Kids in a darker, more dangerous world, maybe they can even die?

Vargtass

Sun 01 Jan 2017, 19:28

I think this is a good idea, also firmly based in the original artbook. "Things from the Flood" is distnctly darker than "Tales from the Loop" and the main character and friends grow up, become older. It all makes sense.

redRNR

Wed 18 Jan 2017, 03:09

Yes. Absolutely.