pgholland

Re: The ALPHA PDF - questions, comments, errata

Tue 17 Jan 2017, 20:56

With the new preview chapters (03 and 10) is the starting flavour text supposed to be in (what looks like) Latin?

Kreggen

Tue 17 Jan 2017, 21:34

With the new preview chapters (03 and 10) is the starting flavour text supposed to be in (what looks like) Latin?
This is only placeholder text!

ysarius

Wed 18 Jan 2017, 00:46

Concerning the location of The Echo Sphere :

Just to be sure : can we consider that there is at least 2 Echo Sphere ?

According to Tales From the Loop Artbook (P19 & 20), one Echo Sphere is located on Munso.

The other one, according to Chap 10 should be located on Svartsjölandet.

Am I correct ? Yes : See P77. Multiple echo spheres
Last edited by ysarius on Wed 18 Jan 2017, 04:29, edited 1 time in total.

silentboba

Wed 18 Jan 2017, 01:14

Also

Re: Helping/Assisting
I think I'd much rather remove the assisting kid's roll and instead put the following rules in place:
* the helping kid must have 1 or more in the skill to be allowed to assist.
* kid gives 1 dice to other kid's dice pool (in addition to any bonuses)
* only one kid can help
* kid is bound by the roll of the main kid - if she fails, the helper automatically takes a condition (not complication or trouble)

That would mean less risk, and fewer dice rolls.

In addition, one could allow the following rule as well:
* multiple kids may assist, but they must all have a skill level equal to or above the number of kids assisting. I.e. 2 kids helping out must both have 2 or more in that skill.

I would also suggest that bonus dice from help AND lead dice pool together can't be more than +3

So, dice available to player is (maximum):
* attribute +5
* skill +5
* items/npcs/info +3
* help/lead +3

Max total = 16 dice
I really like some of these ideas, especially the helping other Kids.  Anything to cut down on dice rolling where it's not important to the narrative.  I'm working on my game in the next week or two with my group of 7 players, so I'll see how the Extended Troubles ideas work out with a large group.  Narratively, I'm thinking of splitting things up, so groups can go after different goals, such as the machine will be an extended challenge, the goshawk another and working with Gunnar could be a third.  Hopefully, this will make each group feel important to the finale and ratchet up some tension for the big showdown.

baylox

Fri 20 Jan 2017, 13:16

4) "Complications were tough to figure out"
What counts as a complication, or rather, do I succeed if I pick a complication (but have to, at a later point, face the result of that) or do I fail still?
I haven't playtested the game yet (hopefully will tomorrow, with actual kids in the game's age span), but reading the rules this is something I wondered too. Is taking a complication an automatic success? If not, what happens if the roll is failed? 
The Swedish text, at least, is not very clear on this point, as it says that "even if you succeed, some detail isn't as you had expected". That implies a re-roll should be made (but could also imply that even though you succeed, rather than even if), which sort of makes sense. I re-roll, and if I succeed I get a complication now or sometime later on top of achieving what I want. But what if the re-roll fails? Do I get a condition instead on top of failing or do I "just" fail?
Titta vad jag gjort! / Things I've created:
Coriolis - talanger och referensmaterial
Symbaroum - Unsung Heroes of the Abomitorium
Ur Varselklotet/TftL - mysterier & spelböcker

Nilo

Fri 20 Jan 2017, 15:15

4) "Complications were tough to figure out"
What counts as a complication, or rather, do I succeed if I pick a complication (but have to, at a later point, face the result of that) or do I fail still?
I haven't playtested the game yet (hopefully will tomorrow, with actual kids in the game's age span), but reading the rules this is something I wondered too. Is taking a complication an automatic success? If not, what happens if the roll is failed? 
The Swedish text, at least, is not very clear on this point, as it says that "even if you succeed, some detail isn't as you had expected". That implies a re-roll should be made (but could also imply that even though you succeed, rather than even if), which sort of makes sense. I re-roll, and if I succeed I get a complication now or sometime later on top of achieving what I want. But what if the re-roll fails? Do I get a condition instead on top of failing or do I "just" fail?
Before you push the roll you decide what kind of price you want to pay, either a condition and if you succeed you really do it, or you try again without any cost but the result won't be as good as it could have been. So, if you choose consequense and fail, you only fail, ni other price. 

Karbonara

Fri 20 Jan 2017, 17:03

I don't think choosing and then not getting affected (failing roll) is the case.
In that case you'd grab that over a condition any day.

The deal with pushing is that it always has a price in thos game (unlike M0).

I think I'd rather go with:
* condition
* narrative

Failed second roll:
* condition means the trouble shifts, since you didn't manage. It can also force you to stop your current action and give up/run away...
* narrative is anything from a new trouble to a future trouble

I've been using a chosen complication WITH failure as a catalyst for every day life scenes with trouble (grounded, arrested)
---------------------------------

Rollspelens andra guldålder är här!

Spelutvecklare, skribent, och Fria Ligan hang-around. (Det bara blev så.)

Karbonara

Fri 20 Jan 2017, 17:52

I re-read the rules a bit and interpret it as this:
* pushing a failed roll always gives a condition
* pushing a successful roll (in order to get bonus successes) allows you to choose a complication OR a condition.
* failing a roll leads to GM's choice: altered trouble, new trouble, complication (which I'd specify as a possible future trouble, depending on how the player acts) and straight-up condition.

Example:
Climbing along cliffs above water to reach a cave is a MOVE roll.
Failing it means you fall into the water and get wet/cold (complication). You can still reach the cave but unless you figure out a way to dry/change your clothes, the GM might demand a FORCE roll down the line or get a condition. It can also lead to new trouble (by getting home and the parents noticing).

If you push to get to the cave (after failing first roll), it costs you a condition (exhausted). If you succeed, you get there. If you have extra successes, you can tell others how to get there (i.e. info bonus +2). If you succeeded on first roll but pushed to get extra successes, you may grab a condition, or a complication:"you grt to the cave, but you drop the lighter you were carrying."

Rollspelens andra guldålder är här!

Spelutvecklare, skribent, och Fria Ligan hang-around. (Det bara blev så.)

baylox

Sat 21 Jan 2017, 16:28

That sounds like a pretty good way of handling it, Karbonara - I'll try that when we continue playing (started up with the kids today). Thanks for your input!
Titta vad jag gjort! / Things I've created:
Coriolis - talanger och referensmaterial
Symbaroum - Unsung Heroes of the Abomitorium
Ur Varselklotet/TftL - mysterier & spelböcker

ScottyLF

Sat 04 Feb 2017, 13:07

Just got round to readin new the new chapters, great work as always! Although I am still desperately wanting the section that explains why there's robots and flying vehicles but everyone still only has VHS and Commodore 64s!!!! It's the first thing my gaming group wants to know about and I have no answer lol!