Karbonara

Re: The ALPHA PDF - questions, comments, errata

Sat 04 Feb 2017, 14:00

In my groups we've interpreted it like this:
* a lot of these fantastic machines are still controlled by basic computation power - like the hardware and software used for the moon landing. This explains why a kid can roll for tinker to control a machine, or calculate to get how it's built.
* fantastic machines and advanced tech is expensive and partly government controlled. This explains why it's not available for everyone. A really wealthy farmer might have a magnetrine tractor, and well-off inventor might have electronics for simple AI. Essentially, the kids get the "low grade stuff" and the grown-ups don't want them to use the advanced stuff yet (a bit like cellphones and computers today).
* the advanced tech is partially known, but unobtainable, unless someone's parent or something is using top level (secret) tech at home. and a lot of the tech found in mysteries are top secret military or government property. Kinda like: you cannot buy or even fly a fighter Jet, but you can see it fly by and be amazed.

It is a bit of a conandrum though.
---------------------------------

Rollspelens andra guldålder är här!

Spelutvecklare, skribent, och Fria Ligan hang-around. (Det bara blev så.)

Bengt Petter

Thu 09 Feb 2017, 17:16

First of all: this is, I think, in many ways a stunning game. I just love the setting, the artwork and the graphic design. It´s probably the most beautiful RPG I´ve ever seen. And Nils has done a fantastic work with putting together all this into a playable RPG with many interesting details. Amazing! I´m also quite sure this game could find it´s way to a quite large group of players, probably not only people with previous RPG experience. For example: this is a game my wife – a total RPG rookie – wants to play with me. 

Though, since this is still not a finished, printed product, I would suggest some changes in how the texts are written. I think there are too many sentences – to be specific, only when NPC:s are described – that starts with "he", "she" or the name. It makes the sentences a bit monotonous. Is it possible to change that?    

Karbonara

Thu 09 Feb 2017, 19:55

Interesting.
Do you have examples?
(Text copy or images from the pdf)

This was not something I reflected over when reading the rules and background chapters (but I'm not native english speaker).

Rollspelens andra guldålder är här!

Spelutvecklare, skribent, och Fria Ligan hang-around. (Det bara blev så.)

aka_fatman

Thu 16 Feb 2017, 01:48

This is *possibly* a minor quibble, maybe not. For Pride, the Weirdo has "I'm not heterosexual" as a pride. While I salute the progressive approach to sexuality from the authors, there's a certain implied negativity to heterosexuals there. I think you can be proud of something that you ARE (e.g. "I'm proud of my own sexuality (homosexual/bisexual)" but not something that you AREN'T, unless there are strong negative feelings associated with it (e.g. "I'm proud that I'm not a Nazi", "I'm proud that I don't sell drugs to other inmates").

Valtian

Fri 17 Feb 2017, 01:55

This is *possibly* a minor quibble, maybe not. For Pride, the Weirdo has "I'm not heterosexual" as a pride. While I salute the progressive approach to sexuality from the authors, there's a certain implied negativity to heterosexuals there. I think you can be proud of something that you ARE (e.g. "I'm proud of my own sexuality (homosexual/bisexual)" but not something that you AREN'T, unless there are strong negative feelings associated with it (e.g. "I'm proud that I'm not a Nazi", "I'm proud that I don't sell drugs to other inmates").
I think it's more about the fact that "Not heterosexual" includes a whole number of alternatives, not just simply homosexual or Bisexual. I'll admit its a bit of a strange way to word it, but it's a lot cleaner than trying to fit all that into a long sentence. The point behind it seems to be to include all alternatives in one 3 word sentence that fits on the page. I might be wrong, but that's how I read it.

aka_fatman

Sat 18 Feb 2017, 18:16

I think it's more about the fact that "Not heterosexual" includes a whole number of alternatives, not just simply homosexual or Bisexual. I'll admit its a bit of a strange way to word it, but it's a lot cleaner than trying to fit all that into a long sentence. The point behind it seems to be to include all alternatives in one 3 word sentence that fits on the page. I might be wrong, but that's how I read it.
I think an "I'm proud of my sexual orientation" would do just as well as it covers the whole gamut of possibilities. Again, I realise that it sounds needlessly nitpicky, but if you're proud to NOT be something, it's because you find flaws in what the thing is.
"I'm proud to not steal from others."
"I'm proud to not succumb to popular ideologies."
"I'm proud to not cheat on my partner." etc.

See, on the flipside, if the statement was "I'm proud I'm not a homosexual", it would be a statement made by someone who thought there was something wrong with homosexuality, i.e. a homophobe. There is a negative connotation associated with pride in not being something. I think addressing sexuality is a great step in role-playing, but if your statement is that you're proud in not being heterosexual, problems potentially arise ("What is it that you dislike about heterosexuals/heterosexuality?")