Bengt Petter

Re: Classes

Thu 22 Dec 2016, 13:01

I would add another thing to the Geek type: stamp collection.

A more general reflexion: what would happen to those types if they were all girls? I somehow get the feeling that more feminine aspects could be added. A female Jock could for sure be crazy about horses, just to mention one detail. And a female Geek might play piano or flute and be Super Christian. And a female Troublemaker could be pregnant or just having a relationship with an older, really dangerous guy (or girl). 

joth1006
Topic Author

Thu 22 Dec 2016, 14:45

I would add another thing to the Geek type: stamp collection.

A more general reflexion: what would happen to those types if they were all girls? I somehow get the feeling that more feminine aspects could be added. A female Jock could for sure be crazy about horses, just to mention one detail. And a female Geek might play piano or flute and be Super Christian. And a female Troublemaker could be pregnant or just having a relationship with an older, really dangerous guy (or girl). 

I disagree with this. I had lots of geeky friends who were girls, and they were in to video games and books (not piano or flute). And there were loads of girls who were bullies, e.g. punching other kids in the face. And girls have other ways of causing trouble than get pregnant, or else using her sexuality.

RachelBostwick

Thu 22 Dec 2016, 19:42

I disagree with this. I had lots of geeky friends who were girls, and they were in to video games and books (not piano or flute). And there were loads of girls who were bullies, e.g. punching other kids in the face. And girls have other ways of causing trouble than get pregnant, or else using her sexuality.
Thanks for saying that. Turns out we're really not that different, right? I was a computer geek kid, into PCs, text-based gaming, and fantasy novels :D

joth1006
Topic Author

Thu 22 Dec 2016, 20:11

Thanks for saying that. Turns out we're really not that different, right? I was a computer geek kid, into PCs, text-based gaming, and fantasy novels :D
I know right? Who knew gender was just a system of oppression? 

Björn Hellqvist

Thu 22 Dec 2016, 22:12

I'm married to a geek girl who played D&D back in California in the 1980's...

I'm all for a gender-neutral character generation system, but OTOH, one must remember how rare it was for boys and girls aged 10-15 to mix IRL. But TftL is set in an alternate past, so screw that.
My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos, ruined dreams, this wasted land.

zillionk

Sun 25 Dec 2016, 17:01

so except different key attribute, there is actually no other non-roleplay difference between classes?

I was expecting some skill differences, like trouble maker have a free point on force but minus one on tinker, popular kid have a free point on CHARM but lower on COMPREHEND. That make class have more difference between each other.

cwilsontrull

Mon 26 Dec 2016, 01:03

"You see us as you want to see us - in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of is us a brain... and an athlete... and a basket case... a princess.. and a criminal. Does that answer your question?"

...Sorry. Quote fit so nice here. 

RachelBostwick

Mon 26 Dec 2016, 02:12

"You see us as you want to see us - in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of is us a brain... and an athlete... and a basket case... a princess.. and a criminal. Does that answer your question?"

...Sorry. Quote fit so nice here. 
I have had this rattling around in my brain since the alpha dropped.

Tomas
Site Admin

Mon 26 Dec 2016, 13:34

so except different key attribute, there is actually no other non-roleplay difference between classes?

I was expecting some skill differences, like trouble maker have a free point on force but minus one on tinker, popular kid have a free point on CHARM but lower on COMPREHEND. That make class have more difference between each other.
This is a good point. We do want to keep the game mechanically quite simple, but some tweaking might be in order here. We'll see. :)
Fria Ligan

Jynk

Mon 26 Dec 2016, 13:41

The only benefit so far for Kid types is the key attribute which seems to give some benefits for the dice rolling, other than that, there's no mechanical difference. I have to agree with zillionk that having a few distinct stat set-ups for each kid might be helpful on structuring a group together. Like.. a bookworm and computer geek are going to be similar, but what sets them apart from each other aside from the role-play aspect? Attribute differences could be something like... a bookworm has a +1 to mind, but a -1 to body, while a jock is the opposite. Something that sets the kids apart and makes each one have a pro and con to playing them so the group gets more of a dynamic going on the mechanical end of the game as well as the storytelling end. :)
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire." - Charles Bukowski