taranion
Topic Author

Mystic Powers on Generation

Tue 04 Sep 2018, 11:37

I am a bit confused by the core rules regarding the availability for the mystic power talents on character generation.

My understanding so far is:
  • Everyone can raise the skill "Mystic Powers" to at least 1 on generation. (Concept Fugitive/Mystic up to 3).
  • Fugitive/Mystics get a free Mystic Power talent (Core 25: "If you begin play as a Mystic, you get to choose one free mystical power talent.")
  • Fugitives in general can have a Mystic Power as a concept skill. (Core 35)
Does this mean it is possible to build a Fugitive/Mystic that has two Mystical Power talents? Even if he only has a skill level of 1 in "Mystic Powers"?

Doctor KoT

Re: Mystic Powers on Generation

Tue 04 Sep 2018, 13:01

See "Starting talents" on p. 68.

taranion
Topic Author

Tue 04 Sep 2018, 13:05

See "Starting talents" on p. 68.
I am well aware of that page. That still doesn't answer my questions regarding one or two mystical talents and if the skill level is somehow a cap for the number of mystical talents.

toddbanister

Tue 04 Sep 2018, 13:36

• Everyone can raise the skill "Mystic Powers" to at least 1 on generation. (Concept Fugitive/Mystic up to 3).
This is correct. Even if you are not a Fugitive/Mystic, you can have the Advanced Skill Mystic Powers. This represents a "dormant" talent that hasn't been discovered yet.
  • Fugitive/Mystics get a free Mystic Power talent (Core 25: "If you begin play as a Mystic, you get to choose one free mystical power talent.")
Correct - If you choose a Fugitive/Mystic - you have to get a Mystic Power (thats the whole point). You also get all of the other associated "stuff" (you are hunted, etc).
  • Fugitives in general can have a Mystic Power as a concept skill. (Core 35)
Does this mean it is possible to build a Fugitive/Mystic that has two Mystical Power talents? Even if he only has a skill level of 1 in "Mystic Powers"?

Absolutely. The skill represents how well you can use it - so its entirely possible to have two Mystic Power talents and only have a 1 in the skill. This would probably represent a "wild/uncontrollable" style Mystic.

Take care,
TB

Doctor KoT

Tue 04 Sep 2018, 13:38

That still doesn't answer my questions regarding one or two mystical talents
  1. One group talent.
  2. One personal talent (if you choose Fugitive/Mystic, you must pick the Mystic Power talent from his starting talents list (don't forget about Mystic Powers skill)
  3. One Icon talent.
  4. One humanite talent if your PC is a humanite.
No more talents at the start of the game.
if the skill level is somehow a cap for the number of mystical talents
There is no such cap.

toddbanister

Tue 04 Sep 2018, 13:47

That still doesn't answer my questions regarding one or two mystical talents
  1. One group talent.
  2. One personal talent (if you choose Fugitive/Mystic, you must pick the Mystic Power talent from his starting talents list (don't forget about Mystic Powers skill)
  3. One Icon talent.
  4. One humanite talent if your PC is a humanite.
No more talents at the start of the game.
if the skill level is somehow a cap for the number of mystical talents
There is no such cap.
I agree with the above outside of a single word in the rulebook - "free". Page 25 - "If you begin play as a Mystic, you get to choose one free mystical power talent". To me, this indicates that you get an additional "free" talent over the standard package during player creation. The rulebook even marks the Mystical talents as special on page 68 with the line "Mystical powers are a separate category of talents".

If the rulebook said "If you begin play as a Mystic, you must choose one mystical power talent" - then I would agree with Mystics being limited to just one - but that is not what the rulebook says.

Take care,
TB

toddbanister

Tue 04 Sep 2018, 13:52

And if you think about it - the Mystic getting 4 total talents (1x group, 1x icon, 1x free mystic, 1x personal) at the start makes sense from the perspective of the humanites (since they too get 4 to start with 1x humanite talent in place of the 1x free mystic talent). Both character classes come with built in drawbacks with the Mystic being hunted, despised, etc. right from the start. Thus both character types are consistent - if you start with a social drawback, then you gain an extra special talent. Seems balanced to me.

Take care,
TB
Last edited by toddbanister on Tue 04 Sep 2018, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor KoT

Tue 04 Sep 2018, 13:53

I agree with the above outside of a single word in the rulebook - "free".
But it says not "additional free talent", it says "free talent". The thing is that starting talents ARE free  :geek:

toddbanister

Tue 04 Sep 2018, 14:07

I agree with the above outside of a single word in the rulebook - "free".
But it says not "additional free talent", it says "free talent". The thing is that starting talents ARE free  :geek:
So your interpretation is that since talent are "free" during character creation, then the word free in the sentence "If you begin play as a mystic, you get to choose one free mystical power talent" is just superfluous/redundant. I can see that.

But without an official ruling or someone telling me exactly what it says in the Swedish version of the game - if one of my players wanted to play a Mystic and asked for their free Mystic talent - I would allow it. I would just warn them of what they were getting themselves into at the start of the game (hunted, despised, etc). 'Course with it fitting in so well with the theme of Emissary Lost ... I might not warn them at all!
TB

9littlebees

Tue 04 Sep 2018, 14:21

From what I can see (and how I would play this at my own table), there is a "Mystical Talent" option under the Fugitive concept, so if you choose to play a Mystic, that is your "free" Mystical talent - no different than any other concept talent. The only way to get a fourth talent at character creation is to be a Humanite.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)