Belgeval
Topic Author

Question about character upbringing

Sun 01 Jul 2018, 05:12

Hello everyone! I am new to these forums, and I have a quick question about character creation. It is related to character’s upbringing.

So I am creating my first character, a corporate medicurg who has become the main health assistant in a scientific research ship to help funding some litigations his company is involved in. He is son to a couple of Zenithian doctors, he studied in a University, and has had an extensive and successful career as a doctor in Medicurgy.

[justify]The question is: what do you think the most appropriate upbringing would be? I certainly don’t see him or his parents as humble, hard-working plebeians or stationaries, but privileged seems a little too… “privileged” (he is not a nobleman, but more of a resourceful executive and a competent doctor, the owner of a medium-sized medicurgy firm).[/justify]

[justify]What do you think?[/justify]

The1TrueFredrix

Re: Question about character upbringing

Sun 01 Jul 2018, 07:42

Don’t worry too much about the names and descriptions of the three social classes on offer. You are obviously not plebeian, but you could be either of the other two. In real world global terms, most doctors probably count as privileged. But there is no harm in choosing stationary. After character creation the backgrounds have no mechanical effect, except with Reputation. 
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Belgeval
Topic Author

Re: Question about character upbringing

Sun 01 Jul 2018, 17:30

Thank you! Yes, that was the first impression I had; after all, my character has been able to afford a life of studying in good colleges and researching, and comes from a family of reputable scientists. He also had the resources to build a small-to-medium sized company. Privileged is maybe what sounds the best. Thanks!