ltwolfowitz
Topic Author

Defending in melee combat with an equipped ranged weapon

Fri 08 Jun 2018, 22:44

The rules say "If your enemy attacks you with a weapon, and you yourself are unarmed, you get a -2 modifier to defending". But what happens if the PC is armed with ranged weapon? Presumably, he might still parry the blows (and even counterattack), etc) with the the butt of his rifle. Pistols and heavy weapons will not work that way certainly. Any thoughts on the matter please?

Doctor KoT

Re: Defending in melee combat with an equipped ranged weapon

Sun 10 Jun 2018, 13:50

I think the biggest problem in unarmed defence is barehandedness, so any sturdy piece of metal (like pistol) can solve it pretty well -- PC, for example, can use it like improvised tonfa club, lol.
Also GM, as usual, have the last word here.

dysjunct

Tue 12 Jun 2018, 05:25

I’d rule that you count as armed for purposes of defending, but any damage from ones on gear dice is doubled.

Since rifles and bows etc. are not made to parry.

Doctor KoT

Tue 12 Jun 2018, 09:19

There is no gear dice in Coriolis :)

ltwolfowitz
Topic Author

Tue 12 Jun 2018, 16:31

Another option would be to consider defending with ranged weapon (if it is sensible of course, not any weapon will suffice) as being unarmed but WITHOUT a -2 modifier to defending.

The1TrueFredrix

Tue 12 Jun 2018, 17:07

It’s not come up yet in any games I have run, but I would be pretty generous to the defender here with any improvised “weapon.” A bit of pipe, their rifle (not sure about pistol), a large spanner, could all be used to defend. I might not let them get the counterattack bonus effect though. 
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/