Fragpuss
Topic Author

Exorcism

Mon 30 Apr 2018, 14:48

Exorcism is mentioned as a mystic power in the rules and also somewhere else as something that you might call a preacher for, but there are no real mechanics described for it. Has anyone come up with a 'process' for the ritual - time, gear, skills, etc. required?

VoxenTass

Re: Exorcism

Mon 30 Apr 2018, 21:53

Hiya,
My group is just starting to dabble and question the mystic side of things. They have been fully enjoying the more scientific end of things so far :)
At it's core, the system seems to be, exorcism = Mystic Power test with the usual 0=possible failure, 1 = min success 3+ = major success. That should do in a pinch I suppose but it leaves a little something to be desired. As the exorcism is the player attempting to forcibly remove a spirit, I plan to make it a combat/opposed roll, mystic power vs mind points (or other relevant stats) and treating the results as such. When reduced to 0 mind points (or  a preset value) the spirit is expelled and may be defeated properly or the story continues as desired. This would allow both the player and the spirit to use items/relics/artefacts/ect to boost their combat numbers. A holy symbol used to increase the mystic powers roll or the spirit using it's resources to distract and interfere with the dice roll.
A third option could also be that the player just needs to use a specific item in conjunction with Exorcism to automatically expel spirit (to skip the tedium of dice rolls if you are more into just the role play aspect). This could be viewed more movie style: 5th Element, Men in Black, Stargate, Guardians of the Galaxy.

Fragpuss
Topic Author

Re: Exorcism

Tue 01 May 2018, 08:04

Thanks, that's great food or thought. I like the idea of making it more or less like a combat, I think - reading the description of the possession power under Djinni again, they roll Mystic Powers opposed by Wits, to possess a target, so having some similar mechanism to exorcise them seems reasonable. It would be good to emphasise the ritual aspect of it though - having it deplete mind points until forced out by stress rather than one successful roll and it's gone. It would make it much more like a battle of wills between the exorcist and the spirit, which feels right. The text mentions vulnerability to Icon rituals (Culture rolls) when in ethereal form as well, so maybe a preacher or someone else with high culture skill could do the same.

I'm going to have a bit more of a think and come back come back with some sort of house rule in due course.

Cheers