BenL
Topic Author

Healing scarab confusion! :)

Wed 26 Jul 2017, 00:56

Under the healing scarab it reads, "A scarab restores 2 HPs. Three scarabs can get a broken PC back on her feet and five scarabs can heal a critical injury."

This confused me because my understanding is that if you're broken, you're on your feet once you regain one HP. If the healing scarab grants 2 HP, why does it mention that three scarabs can get a broken PC back on her feet?

I assume the five scarabs to heal a critical injury is just how many it takes to do so.

Can you use a healing scarab to regain HP if you aren't broken or is it considered first aid and once you're not broken, further first aid is ineffective? 

Jegergryte

Re: Healing scarab confusion! :)

Wed 26 Jul 2017, 09:35

I would assume it works like this:
  1. You can heal 2 HP per scarab by just applying the scarab to wounds - this healing rate applies if you're not broken.
  2. If you're broken, it requires 3 scarabs to regain 1 HP, i.e. become "unbroken".
  3. Critical injury as you said, it requires 5 of those to just do it - like 3 above to just make you "unbroken".
"Life is like a sewer. What you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
-Tom Lehrer
Make sure your brain is engaged before putting your mouth into gear.

BenL
Topic Author

Wed 26 Jul 2017, 12:52

The problems are:

1) The scarab heals 2 HP but you need 3 to remove being broken? It takes 1 HP to remove the broken condition.

2) I have seen nothing that allows healing "unbroken" characters, so a scarab shouldn't give you 2 HP. First aid on characters who aren't broken is useless, RAW.  

Tomas
Site Admin

Wed 26 Jul 2017, 17:53

Sorry for the unclarity here. Jegergryte's theory is correct. Healing scarabs can be used to heal unbroken characters, and then heal 2 HP per scarab. To get a broken character back on his feet, and thus restore 1 HP, requires three scarabs. And healing a critical injury requires five.
Fria Ligan

BenL
Topic Author

Wed 26 Jul 2017, 20:43

No need to apologize! I haven't read each and every word but I can tell it's an extremely well-written book. I'm very comfortable with tweaking things as needed and don't sour on a game that has an unclear thing or two. I just prefer to understand as much as possible, when possible, so as not to run things off the rails.  :) 

I appreciate the answer and while I have you, is the healing scarab the only way to heal an unbroken character or can m-doses and the like do the same? My understanding is that a character cannot benefit from medical attention to regain HP unless broken or, as you've just clarified, when using a healing scarab. 

Tomas
Site Admin

Thu 27 Jul 2017, 06:27

You are right, the healing scarabs are an exception. :)
Fria Ligan

BenL
Topic Author

Fri 28 Jul 2017, 05:21

Excellent! That makes them extremely awesome(r)! :)