JohnK
Topic Author

Stun Gun Question

Mon 03 Apr 2017, 17:53

Hullo, folks,

Here's a question about the rules covering Stun guns. 

The Stun Gun stats on the chart says both Stun in the CRIT line and as a Feature.  The Stun Feature says that it "inflicts stress instead of damage".

What exactly does this mean?  Does this mean that all damage from the Stun gun is always stress, and that a Critical causes the opponent's stress to drop to zero?  If that's the case, how does one determine whether a Stun gun attack does a Critical, as the chart doesn't indicate how many successes are required for the Critical?

Thanks, in advance. :)
...As for the border, the border is wherever the fleet sits at the moment. (Downbelow Station by C.J. Cherryh)

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

Tomas
Site Admin

Re: Stun Gun Question

Wed 05 Apr 2017, 20:15

Hi!

You can't crit with a stun gun.
Fria Ligan

JohnK
Topic Author

Fri 07 Apr 2017, 00:46

Hi!

You can't crit with a stun gun.
Tomas,
Thanks for the answer to this, but...  if you can't do a Critical with a Stun gun, then why put the word "Stun" in the Critical column of the chart on page 126?
I actually like the option that I may use that a Stun gun crits on a 2, and that if a Critical ensues, the target is reduced to zero (0) stress.
How does that sound to you? :)
...As for the border, the border is wherever the fleet sits at the moment. (Downbelow Station by C.J. Cherryh)

JohnK

Jegergryte

Mon 10 Apr 2017, 10:44

If you want a critical with the Stun gun to work as an automatic knock-out, I'd increase that Crit value to 3, perhaps 4. I think 2 is too low. But hey, YMMV.
"Life is like a sewer. What you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
-Tom Lehrer
Make sure your brain is engaged before putting your mouth into gear.

JohnK
Topic Author

Mon 10 Apr 2017, 17:44

If you want a critical with the Stun gun to work as an automatic knock-out, I'd increase that Crit value to 3, perhaps 4. I think 2 is too low. But hey, YMMV.
Hullo, Jegergryte,
I was throwing the value of 2 out there as a random thought and idea, but I like the idea of using a Crit 3 value.  Will use this in my games, and see how it works,

JohnK

Jegergryte

Mon 10 Apr 2017, 17:48

Yeah, I figured :)

Thinking about it 2 may not be too powerful, considering you'd have to roll 3 sixes to hit and do a knock-out. Crit 4 is probably a bit too much to require. :)
"Life is like a sewer. What you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
-Tom Lehrer
Make sure your brain is engaged before putting your mouth into gear.

Sensei

Sat 29 Apr 2017, 06:09

So, you guys are tossing around some totally reasonable houserules for stunning, but is there no official word on this? I actually came to this forum specifically to find an answer to this, because I can't see the stun grenade being effective in any way, shape, or form if it truly only does 1 stress point per use. I mean, the stun gun has "stun" under the 'Critical' header, so I can see just ruling an auto stun, except that there's no crit number to go along with that effect... but the grenade has nothing at all under the Crit column. Surely, one of the designers has explained someplace how these work, maybe? :|

blaster219

Sat 29 Apr 2017, 10:04

2nd post

You can't crit with a stun weapon. That's pretty much the official word. Everything else is house rules.

Tomas
Site Admin

Sat 29 Apr 2017, 17:17

As mentioned earlier in the thread, stun weapons don't crit.

As for grenades, the damage caused depends on the Blast Power (listed for each grenade on page 129). Blast Power is explained on page 98. Stun grenades cause stress instead of damage (see page 127), and they don't crit.

Those are the official rules. House rules are of course perfectly fine! :)
Fria Ligan

blaster219

Sat 29 Apr 2017, 17:20

Re-reading the combat chapter, specifically the rules regarding Stress and Damage, there's no mention of armour under the Stress section. I've taken that to mean armour is ineffective against Stress. Is that correct? Because that would also mean stun weapons ignore armour. And that's something I'd like to get right at the table once I start running. :-)