Kaeam
Topic Author

Ship modules and features

Tue 07 Mar 2017, 21:16

Hello, I have some questions about ship modules and features:
  • Medlab, Trauma Lab, Ordinary Workshop, Advanced Workshop, and Library Database are listed under both gear (Chapter 6) and modules/features (Chapter 7). However, the costs listed in Chapter 6 are much lower than those found in Chapter 7: Medlab costs 5000 birr vs. 10000 birr, Trauma Lab 20000 birr vs. 10% of the ship's starting cost (in addition to the cost of the Medlab that was upgraded), Ordinary Workshop 2000 birr vs. 7500 birr, Advanced Workshop 15000 birr vs. 10% of the ship's starting cost (in addition to the cost of the Workshop that was upgraded), and Library Database 2000 birr vs. 5% of the ship's starting cost. Is there anything preventing people from just buying the cheaper yet functionally identical version of these modules/features?
  • Should the Trauma Lab feature be restricted (*) like the Trauma Lab gear?
  • Can you salvage modules and spare parts from ships by using your ship's Salvage Station? How many spare parts would you get?

Kaptajn Congoboy

Re: Ship modules and features

Wed 08 Mar 2017, 13:42

I have a question about the Heavy Accelerator Cannon for ships. In the swedish book, the range reads "Only Medium" but the English book it says "Medium". Which is the correct range?

JohnK

Wed 08 Mar 2017, 18:38

Hullo, Kaeam,

I would hazard a guess that the costs for the various facilities listed in Equipment are when they are in a planet-based environment, whereas the costs in the Spaceships chapter are when they are used as modules aboard spaceship and space stations.  If you're using them as ship modules, use the costs under the Spaceship chapter listings.

One might want to restrict the Trauma Lab, given that it makes sense to do so.  I am, for my campaign games. :)

I would say that you can salvage modules and spare parts if the characters' ship has a Salvage Station module.  How many spare parts you might get, and whether any modules salvaged are functional is something that I would leave to the GM. :)

Hope this helps. :)
...As for the border, the border is wherever the fleet sits at the moment. (Downbelow Station by C.J. Cherryh)

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

JohnK

Wed 08 Mar 2017, 18:39

I have a question about the Heavy Accelerator Cannon for ships. In the swedish book, the range reads "Only Medium" but the English book it says "Medium". Which is the correct range?
Since I am running the game with the English version, I would use the ruling for it from the English, not the Swedish, version. :)
...As for the border, the border is wherever the fleet sits at the moment. (Downbelow Station by C.J. Cherryh)

JohnK

Kaeam
Topic Author

Wed 08 Mar 2017, 19:43

Thanks for the input, JohnK.  :)
The Medlab and Trauma Lab specifically mention that they take up space equivalent to one spaceship module, so it feels a bit silly to pay more if you put them on a spaceship. I guess that the extra cost comes from having to pay a professional to install the modules.  :P

JohnK

Wed 08 Mar 2017, 22:46

Thanks for the input, JohnK.  :)
The Medlab and Trauma Lab specifically mention that they take up space equivalent to one spaceship module, so it feels a bit silly to pay more if you put them on a spaceship. I guess that the extra cost comes from having to pay a professional to install the modules.  :P
LOL!  That would be part of it, but I suspect the main cost for the purposes of putting it on a ship or station would be getting it to the space shipyard or docks where the ship is being put together. 

JohnK

shael

Thu 09 Mar 2017, 00:25

cost increase might be cause space ship parts need to be air tight...

Our group have had some issues with these and would be nice to hear some other viewpoints. 
Space ship workshop doesn't mention having spare parts at all yet the ground based one says it has 10. It doesn't directly say that you need spare parts to repair a ship, only if you do it in combat. Also filling up the spare parts is much cheaper than to buy individual parts. (resupplying advanced ground based workshop costs 2000 birr where as induvidually bought parts would cost 10,000 birr) If you have workshop do you still need tools? When paying for space ship maintenance does this also fill up the parts (if any?) 

Can you set up workshop in cargo bay? (yes it says its a module sized item but what class module? class 1 cargo space would be a lot smaller than class 5) 

Speaking of modules and their sizes cabins, cargo hold, smugglers stash, escape pods and stasis hold and hangar scale by the size rest have no mention about their size. How many persons can be treated at the same time in the med lab? does larger ships workshop have more parts? as rules as written you can take for example class 3 ship put a hangar in it and put a class 1 ship in that hangar, well class 1 ship has 2 module slots so you can put med bay and work shop there and use those to repair and heal every one, not to mention as the advanced status are from ship class base price it would be a lot cheaper to get advanced versions to a class 1 ship than install 1 to a class 3 ship (also you win a module slot by putting a fighter in a hangar...) 

Finally: Why would anyone ever buy Nestera Mangler it has worse stats than heavy accelerator cannon but costs 10,000 birr more, it crits better than normal acceleratr cannon but costs twice as much.

Kosta
Site Admin

Sat 11 Mar 2017, 14:46

Hi everybody!

Some answers:
  • JohnK is correct regarding why there is a difference in costs between a Medlab,Workshops etc. in a building vs. buying it as a module on a ship. 
  • We haven't specified how much you can salvage with the Salvage station, it's up to the GM - having in mind the balance of rewards in the game.
  • The Bonus for the Nestera Mangler should be +2, making it a good buy :)
Fria Ligan

grindoctor

Thu 08 Aug 2019, 20:20

Another question about modules:
some of the "pre-made" class III ships Scarab, Azuk and Oryx all have a crew of five, but in all but one configuration only one cabin module (which seems to be standard with 4 cabins for class III).
Or am I misinterpreting and these are coffin cabin modules?

Edit: Just saw the errata, never mind ;)