shael
Topic Author

Raising attribute

Tue 28 Feb 2017, 03:22

Is it possible to raise attributes at all? if so how? character advancement part is silent about this

The1TrueFredrix

Re: Raising attribute

Tue 28 Feb 2017, 10:53

I don't think it is. At least I told my players that.
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Tomas
Site Admin

Sat 04 Mar 2017, 15:44

Correct, attributes cannot be raised in play.
Fria Ligan

shael
Topic Author

Thu 09 Mar 2017, 00:44

thanks for the official reply :)

MobileEntropy79

Thu 23 Mar 2017, 20:38

Hello.
What about :
 MIND-ENHANCING NARCOTICS (O*)
These drugs come in a variety of forms and with many different
effects. They can be ingested, injected or applied as
adhesive patches. The effects are very strong – one attribute
is raised by 1 for D6 hours. The drugs come with serious
fatigue after the high, however. When the PC comes down,
she suffers 2 points of damage and a -1 to the affected
attribute for half a day.

And related to that can these same narcotics raise an attribute above 5?
Thanks!

Tomas
Site Admin

Thu 23 Mar 2017, 22:17

Hello.
What about :
 MIND-ENHANCING NARCOTICS (O*)
These drugs come in a variety of forms and with many different
effects. They can be ingested, injected or applied as
adhesive patches. The effects are very strong – one attribute
is raised by 1 for D6 hours. The drugs come with serious
fatigue after the high, however. When the PC comes down,
she suffers 2 points of damage and a -1 to the affected
attribute for half a day.

And related to that can these same narcotics raise an attribute above 5?
Thanks!
Yes, they can.
Fria Ligan

MobileEntropy79

Sat 25 Mar 2017, 16:03

Thanks!

Aryxbez

Mon 03 Jul 2017, 12:44

Problem I can see with not letting Attributes be raised is the mixed incentives. You're instead encouraged to the get upbringing with the most stat boost, as that will carry you farther than more skills, or money (Money is very fluid resource I'd imagine, and Stats will apply more than a specific use of a skill). Allowing Skills to be raised at least doesn't carry that problem, though gonna want to have your stats figured out at Char-Gen anyway, but all the same.

Seems like a strange change to make from Mutant: Year Zero, when it only serves to hurt things with mixed incentive, and locking in PC like that.

Jishosan

Sat 15 Jul 2017, 09:32

Problem I can see with not letting Attributes be raised is the mixed incentives. You're instead encouraged to the get upbringing with the most stat boost, as that will carry you farther than more skills, or money (Money is very fluid resource I'd imagine, and Stats will apply more than a specific use of a skill). Allowing Skills to be raised at least doesn't carry that problem, though gonna want to have your stats figured out at Char-Gen anyway, but all the same.

Seems like a strange change to make from Mutant: Year Zero, when it only serves to hurt things with mixed incentive, and locking in PC like that.
This was sort of my concern as well. While a Plebian may only have 23 total "points" that they will distribute, there is a definite advantage to the 15 point baseline as opposed to the 13 points of the Privileged. Especially where mental attributes are concerned, because the game provides talents that can give up to 6 additional HP, but no talented way to gain additional MP that I have seen. I'll have to see how it plays out in the long run, as it tends to have less effect at the start, but with skills capping at 5, it may take some time before we start to see gaps in characters. 

Jegergryte

Tue 18 Jul 2017, 15:23

While it ultimaltey will make the ones with the higher attribute total better, the question also becomes: how often is or will this be a problem? And this is related to how long campaigns people run, how long characters survive; in most games I'd think that it doesn't matter much. A really long campaign, with a generous GM awarding XP liberally and often, yeah, it may become an issue.

But consider this: how many sessions do you play per month, over how many months are your campaigns usually last? How many XP is usually awarded? Total that up and then see how much or if it's a problem. If players know how many XP they will end up on in the end with - not something I tend to inform them of, but it is a nice thought experiment - they will design their characters in light of that. Let's say you intend to run a short campaign, of about 8 sessions, assuming 5 XP per session that is no more than 40 XP. 40 XP is 8 skill ranks, or a few skill ranks and some talents.

Now let's say you run on average a session every other week, holidays and all included, that's 26 sessions in a year - which to most will be a decent, perhaps even a good and long campaign. That's a total of 130 XP if you award them an average of 5 per session. Even my last long campaign, a year and a half and about 46 sessions (I believe), would result in about 230, perhaps a bit more if you are generous, let's say 250, that's averaging more than 5 XP per session. In this case you may, perhaps, be feeling it... but considering the number of skills and talents... and that the mortality rate of this game is pretty high... I'd not really worry.

The good thing about locking attributes is that not all characters get all 5s in the attributes, or at least very similar attribute lines. There are natural differences and variations in nature and innate ability.
"Life is like a sewer. What you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
-Tom Lehrer
Make sure your brain is engaged before putting your mouth into gear.