Andywo
Topic Author

Space combat questions

Mon 31 Oct 2016, 09:30

Overall I am very impressed with the space combat rules however I am struggling with a few points and would appreciate some direction / clarification with it please.

1-In the rules as written for the kickstarter space ships section it says :
The Autocannon is a small Vulcan cannon used to counter boarding attempts or incoming torpedoes.
It is listed as having a range of contract e.g 0 Cu and would require 1 Ep to fire during your turn in the combat phase.

1A-How does this work during combat as the incoming torpedoes move during the opposing players turn and you will never get the chance to fire them because as soon as they are at 0 Cu they have hit you ?
1B-what rules cover using the Autocannon versus boarding attempts / how does it work?

Is there something that I am missing here ?

2-In the rules under boarding a enemy's ship it states that once the pilot has docked with the ship the engineer needs to make a technology roll to open the airlock
The action to open the airlock costs 1 Ep.
So I have a couple of questions:

2A- as the pilot's phase is after the engineers phase does this mean that boarding takes two turns ?
2B- if you can complete in 1 turn does this mean the engineer gets a additional action out of turn provided you have the Ep remaining ?
2C- finally if boarding takes two turns what is stopping the opposing ship just taking a action to move away ?
If so how is this handled ?

3-Counter measures are listed as being : a powerful sensor buoy launched from the ship to lure away incoming torpedoes.
In the combat section it can make only one attempt per torpedo and turn ?
3A- is this a wording error meaning either :
One attempt per torpedo for 1 turn or 1 attempt per torpedo per turn in which case it stays on the board for longer ?
3B- the range is listed as kort what is kort ?
3C- I am assuming that the countermeasure id launched in the same square as the ship is this correct?
3D- what is the effective range of the countermeasure is it effecting all torpedoes within 1Cu of it ?
3F -is the countermeasure classed as a one use item like a torpedo?

Sorry to ask so many questions hope you can help

Andy

Jegergryte

Re: Space combat questions

Mon 31 Oct 2016, 10:45

I'm not going to pretend that I know the rules in and out, but ... my thoughts on the matter:

1 and 1B: if docking/boarding requires two turns, then the defender can mess up the boarding attempt on his/her turn yes?

2: Two turns for docking? That makes sense, its not plug-and-pray this universe (like Star Wars is).
2C: Well, if the ships are docked/attached to each other, moving away will not work, the docked/boarding vehicle will move with it, I would assume.

3: I think maybe the wording should be: once per torpedo per turn.
3B: Kort is swedish for Short.
"Life is like a sewer. What you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
-Tom Lehrer
Make sure your brain is engaged before putting your mouth into gear.

Tomas
Site Admin

Mon 31 Oct 2016, 12:06

Great questions! Remember, the rules are in beta mode and there is still time to make adjustments and clarifications. :)

1. This will be furher expanded and clarified. Both countermeasures and the autocannon can be used for "defensive fire" against an incoming torpedo, even if the torpedo is launched from 2 CU or less (and strikes in the same turn).
The defensive roll for the countermeasures/autocannon is rolled right before the torpedo strikes (but after the attack roll), and is always considered to occur att Contact range. This defensive fire replaces any offensive fire by the gunner in the turn. Thus, if the gunner fired an offensive attack before the torpedo strikes, he cannot perform defensive fire in the same turn.
If acting earlier in the turn order than the torpedo-firing ship, the gunner on a (potential) target ship can hold off on offensive fire and save his action for defensive fire, should it be needed. If the ship has multiple gunners (and weapon systems), if can fire offensively and defensively in the same turn.

2. Boarding does take two turns. Once the docking is complete, the target ship cannot move away from the attacker until the dock is released. This will be clarified.
The autocannon is effective against boarding, as the attacker needs to be be at Contact range before boarding can commence.

3. Countermeasures can be used defensively as per 1) above, but it can also be used at a torpedo a 1 CU distance (Short range). "Kort" is Swedish for Short - this typos will be fixed, thanks!
Fria Ligan

Andywo
Topic Author

Wed 02 Nov 2016, 13:55

Thanks both of you for posting your answers to my questions.

Last couple of questions and I think I am there:

1 the countermeasure and dispensers are listed on two separate lines on the weapon tables that I have seen - I take it they are two seperate items (as they have different stats)if so do they take up 2 modules.

Are dispensers used to lauch either mines or countermeasures

Do you count the countermeasure sensor buoy as single use like a torpedo

How long does it remain on the board for

Andywo
Topic Author

Wed 02 Nov 2016, 16:19

In addition to my previous question I had intended to ask

What rules cover the use of deploying / detecting mines.

Finally if you fire a torpedo at 4cu or more and after its 1st move of 2cu your target lock is broken does the attack automatically miss

Thanks andy

Doctor KoT

Mon 26 Jun 2017, 07:44

Yeah, guys, what about mines?

Tomas
Site Admin

Mon 23 Oct 2017, 11:41

Yeah, guys, what about mines?
Here are the updated and clarified rules for mines:

Mines are fired during the Attack Phase of the space combat turn, using the Launch Mine action:
Launch Mine: Places a mine in the segment where the ship is located. Roll a normal attack roll and note down the result, which represents how well placed the mine is. No target lock is needed and the roll gets no penalty for this. Place any appropriate marker in the segment to mark where the mine is. When any other ship moves into the segment, the attack from the mine is immediately triggered, directly in the Pilot Phase of the turn. Countermeasures can be used against the mines, see Defensive Fire (this uses up the Gunner’s action for the turn however). The ship that launched the mine will not trigger it, nor will other ships already present in the segment. Note however that nuclear mines will damage all ships in the segment, and antimatter mines hit all ships within Short range.
Fria Ligan

Doctor KoT

Mon 23 Oct 2017, 16:07

Accepted, thanks!