Andywo
Topic Author

Crew positions

Tue 18 Oct 2016, 13:10

Hi quick question on crew positions in smaller ships:
Under the subsection for three crew members it mentions the engineer takes on the sensor operators roll as well and States the data rolls are unmodified but does not mention anything about the engineers rolls?
Does this mean either of the following:
1: he does not gain any benefits ( if any ) to repair bonuses from captins orders ?
2: does he have a penalty to any engineer rolls to repair if so what is the penalty?
3: as the sensor rolls are unmodified does this mean he will not benefit from extra ep allocated to sensors

Finnaly some of the tables e.g 7-5 etc are in English and Swedish

Alphast

Re: Crew positions

Tue 18 Oct 2016, 14:34

I'd say same question will be valid for Class III ships with crews of 4 PC's (which I suspect will be the vast majority of playing groups).

Andywo
Topic Author

Wed 26 Oct 2016, 22:13

Can someone with better knowledge of the rules please be able to give my an explanation of how the above would work and what penalties if any would apply

Thanks

Tomas
Site Admin

Thu 27 Oct 2016, 10:49

Can someone with better knowledge of the  rules please be able to give my an explanation of how the above would work and what penalties if any would apply

Thanks
Hi!
In the case you describe, the Engineer's Technology rolls are also unmodified. The Engineer simply acts as a sensor operator as well, getting the same bonuses from extra EP. Hw won't get bonuses from Captain's orders, as the Captain crew position is removed at 4 crew or less. Thanks, this will be clarified. Note that this is only the case for ships that are designed for the smaller number of crew members. If you have a ship designed for five crew members but don't have the crew to fill all positions, you will need ship AIs to fill in or suffer penalties (further down on the same page).
Fria Ligan

Alphast

Thu 27 Oct 2016, 15:41

Thank you for the clarification.

GordonC

Sun 20 Nov 2016, 14:27

Can someone with better knowledge of the  rules please be able to give my an explanation of how the above would work and what penalties if any would apply

Thanks
Hi!
In the case you describe, the Engineer's Technology rolls are also unmodified. The Engineer simply acts as a sensor operator as well, getting the same bonuses from extra EP. Hw won't get bonuses from Captain's orders, as the Captain crew position is removed at 4 crew or less. Thanks, this will be clarified. Note that this is only the case for ships that are designed for the smaller number of crew members. If you have a ship designed for five crew members but don't have the crew to fill all positions, you will need ship AIs to fill in or suffer penalties (further down on the same page).
Hi Tomas
In the Beta release, I cant see any reference to the Captain position being removed for crews of 4 or less? 

Lego

Sun 30 Apr 2017, 04:38

I have some questions on smaller and larger crew.  I see a pilot if given 6 EP could do two actions with only a -2 on the second not the first.  And if the a ship for 5 only has 4 crew the pilot would roll imitative but captain orders are do nothing.  If so does the pilot/captain still take a -2 for doing 2 jobs even though he does not roll on any captain things?  Is that penalty only for actions taken?  It reads for every extra action.

Second question is for a normal crew acting like a larger crew.  Even if all crew positions are filled can someone take on an extra one.  For example could the pilot fire a weapon system if given EP? or in a case where the pilot does not intend to act can he be a second sensor operator and leave the pilot spot open? or the captain commanding and running sensors.  Also since everyone must declare what phase they intend to act does that mean they have to if the situation changes.

VoxenTass

Sun 30 Apr 2017, 07:25

Hiya,
A pilot is indeed capable of multiple actions. Page 169 says “Each additional action after the first one gives a -2 to all actions”.Add up the number of actions excluding the first one, and apply a -2 for each remaining action to ALL actions that round. If you are doing Advance, Evade and Ram, for instance, you would take a -2 penalty for Evade and Ram making it -4 total, and apply that penalty to all actions that round, including Advance. Dividing your attention in a stressful situation can lessen your overall ability!
If your crew is normally 5, and for some reason one is unable to perform, the pilot and captains roles become merged. The “captain” part rolls for initiative only, and since he’s busy piloting, is unable to issue any commands to the crew. Since he’s only rolling initiative (a free action) and nothing else, the “pilot” part wouldn’t get a -2 right at the start.

Each crew member can only be in one position at a time, think of each person at their own specialized computer or desk. In a combat round, you wouldn’t be able to pilot the ship then run across the bridge to the weapons station and fire a few rounds then run back to the pilot’s station, just not enough time. If a person doesn’t want or have any actions to take, they would stay at their station because the next round isn’t that far away and could be needed. It is entirely possible though, to have a crew of 6 or 7 or more, with the extra people running extra stations,  2 different gunnery stations for instance, or 1 sensor operator locking targets and 1 breaking locks. This would require more players or some other means of handling a larger crew.
As far as changing positions, I would think it could be possible but only at the start of a round, perhaps with a penalty to show time spent reorganizing?

Lego

Sun 30 Apr 2017, 15:32

Vox. I overlooked that for pilot thank you. But on the second part it does say 1 man could crew a ship for 5 but with a -8. So you can run multiple positions. If the pilot is not moving the ship there is lots of EP to go around. It does say you can only do 1 thing per phase. But why not act in 2 phases at a -2? Having an extra gunner or sensor guy is very useful even at a -2 if you have the EP.

VoxenTass

Sun 30 Apr 2017, 17:02

Right. So. Not awkward at all, heh. Yes you should probably completely disregard that entire 2nd paragraph in my last post, chalk it up to age or being up too late or something else gracefully kind :). I read the little blurb about the pilot rule and then closed the book without continuing on..
Acting in multiple phases does incur the -2 for each extra phase, applied in all active phases. This is declared at the start of each round and limited by the same rules for large crews: 1 pilot, 1 captain, extra engineers can do anything except EP distribution, gunners can't both use the same weapon, etc.
I suppose the pilot (or anyone) could choose to not act as the pilot and fire a weapon as gunner, the ship wouldn't move or dodge or anything, but there would be times where that might be in you're advantage.