Freddy
Topic Author

Quick Starter: Dark Flowers

Sat 15 Oct 2016, 07:57

Hi,

i haven't seen any feedback thread for the Quick Starter yet.
Overall, I like the Quick Starter Guide with its mini adventure. It gives a lot of nice ideas and ways to play it. But there are are two things I want to mention that could be maybe improved.

1: Space Station Map:
To be honest the map of the Space Station is confusing me. Maybe i am reading it wrong but I can't make much out of it. I can tell if this is showing the inside or out side or both of the station. Also I am not sure if it shows the station from the side or from top. Its not very clear for me how the different rooms look like and how they are connected. Maybe it could be remade for the final product.

2: Yards:
It looks like Coriolis is using yards a unit for length. I am not 100% sure how much a yard in Coriolis might be. Is the Swedish version of Coriolis also using yards? It looks a bit like yards was chosen in favor for the American users. If you keep the yards as a length unit if would be maybe nice to have somewhere it somewhere defined.
Or using a different unit/naming, maybe old Arabian units for measurements?

Nils
Site Admin

Re: Quick Starter: Dark Flowers

Sat 15 Oct 2016, 11:59

Hi!

The space station map is a cross section map. So you are viewing the station from the side. This would have been more obvious if we had an image of the station but we had to cut it from the qickstart unfortunately.

Regarding the use of yards in the rules, this is something that will be changed to meters in the rulebook and in all future modules. For now you can just replace yards with meters.

Sorry about the confusion!
Fria Ligan

Alphast

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 08:40

Good to know the metric system will be used.

Freddy
Topic Author

Mon 17 Oct 2016, 13:25

Thank you Nils for the answers!
Sad tohearyou had to cut the image from the station. And outside image would have had maybe a bigger benefit. Anyway that your for your quick answer and clarification :-)

GIJose

Sat 26 Nov 2016, 21:37

Question regarding the station map in quickstart - where is the medlab? Can't see area 5 marked anywhere on the cross section.

Also - chapter one under the Entanglement threat we're told to have the player roll for Cool but no such rule is explained anywhere in the quickstart (or the full rules for that matter). What roll is this meant to be? 

DocDandy

Wed 11 Jan 2017, 13:24

Hello, First post on this forum and a feedback after my playtest of "Dark Flowers" (renamed in "Les Fleurs du Mal")
Everything went well with 4 players (Nima stayed in the Narzalus). Too well to be true.
I have an experimented group so they quickly guessed what happened in the station. They examined the Shamza and found information about Dahiljaba and his mission.
They reached the Enginering section and successed to light the station (thanks to Zebo's Gambler's talent!).
Samioh did a great job: using the station's communicator to send a message to Wahina and negociate with her, calm down Amira when she appeared and succeed to argue with Wahina about her dream.
They only had to fight an avatar just before leaving the station safe with Dahiljaba and Amira. Great job! However the station's still intact and it could be a problem when they'll reach Dabaran.

I only have an issue with the system: it's too hard! Even after prayers. So my players tought prayers don't worth it because it give to the GM a darkness point.
I don't know how to resolve this...

Tomas
Site Admin

Wed 11 Jan 2017, 16:17

Hello, First post on this forum and a feedback after my playtest of "Dark Flowers" (renamed in "Les Fleurs du Mal")
Everything went well with 4 players (Nima stayed in the Narzalus). Too well to be true.
I have an experimented group so they quickly guessed what happened in the station. They examined the Shamza and found information about Dahiljaba and his mission.
They reached the Enginering section and successed to light the station (thanks to Zebo's Gambler's talent!).
Samioh did a great job: using the station's communicator to send a message to Wahina and negociate with her, calm down Amira when she appeared and succeed to argue with Wahina about her dream.
They only had to fight an avatar just before leaving the station safe with Dahiljaba and Amira. Great job! However the station's still intact and it could be a problem when they'll reach Dabaran.

I only have an issue with the system: it's too hard! Even after prayers. So my players tought prayers don't worth it because it give to the GM a darkness point.
Cool, thanks for the report! Regarding Darkness Points - try to impress on the players that the DP are not there to punish them, but to make their lives more interesting... :)
Fria Ligan

DocDandy

Wed 11 Jan 2017, 16:28

Totally but I think A failed to explain that is a part of the game and it can be fun.
But Coriolis is not the only game in this case. I have the same issues with FATE or Cortex+ games.
It need some practice.

GoblinLoveChild

Sun 19 Feb 2017, 23:34

I would think thank as a GM you could hand out more situational bonuses. like a greater flanking bonus, and especially tactical bonus.   If the PC's come up with a half decent strategy to a fight give them a decent bonus. 2 or 3 dice can really swing the outcome.

9littlebees

Tue 25 Sep 2018, 13:35

Also - chapter one under the Entanglement threat we're told to have the player roll for Cool but no such rule is explained anywhere in the quickstart (or the full rules for that matter). What roll is this meant to be? 
Just discovered this in the Quickstart, and no-one answered GIJose when he asked - was there a Cool skill in an old version of the game?
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)