Umberto Octo

Re: A Dark Mind...?

Sat 27 Aug 2016, 01:57

... "scientifically quantifiable" ...

To me, something as ephemereal as a reroll isn't....

Hence faith.
How many players (not characters) offer their personal equivalent of a prayer when rolling the dice...? :)
Sometimes their prayers are answered. Other times...  :oops:

For me, the faith and prayer to the Icons is a major attraction of the game's rules.
"Se til helvete å komme dere vekk. Det er ikke en bikkje! Det er en slags TING!
Det imiterer en bikkje. Det er ikke virkelig! Kom dere vekk, IDIOTER!"

Lysander

Sat 27 Aug 2016, 10:43

You mention that no abilities work in combat, you have that list?

Vainamoinen

Sat 27 Aug 2016, 14:41

Guess this is a minor point
No, good point, really. It argues from what is actually there in the setting instead of authorial intent (because death of the author etc.).

I see a bit of a contradicition in that Mystics are actively trained and exploited but their miracles are still supposedly seen as non-quantifiable, but I guess that most of the general population never met a Mystic and therefore doesn't necessarily believe in mystic powers even though faith in the Icons remains strong.

I'm still convinced that in the Third Horizon, scientic methods of discovery are applied to prayer with meticulous scrutiny. However, especially with Octo's briefing on the Arab world in mind, I have shifted a bit in my opinion as well in that the religious and the scientific should run into each other more. In all of the natural sciences, which all attempt to describe infinitely complex systems, we can only record and measure events, then make a mere guess as to what the cause of it was, with no proof ever forthcoming. Essentially through science, the nature around us still remains a wonderful, immeasurable and very mysterious entity – in short, the greatest kind of magic there is.

If we play out science and religion as opposing forces or beliefs in Coriolis, we may be making a big mistake – a Christian mistake. :idea:

Krönikören

Sat 27 Aug 2016, 20:46

Yes, I got the swedish version of the game.. I'll give you some examples: Mind reading, Materia control, Intuition...
Each explicitly say that it cannot be used in combat.

Umberto Octo

Sat 27 Aug 2016, 21:26

Yes, I got the swedish version of the game.. I'll give you some examples: Mind reading, Materia control, Intuition...
Each explicitly say that it cannot be used in combat.
Awesome. In games that have magical spells, I'm much more in the camp of ritual summoning-type magic over fireball-type magic.
I'm guessing the limits on mystical powers is because of the need to focus, concentrate, and/or pray?

Zapp

Sat 27 Aug 2016, 22:57

I see a bit of a contradicition in that Mystics are actively trained and exploited but their miracles are still supposedly seen as non-quantifiable, but I guess that most of the general population never met a Mystic and therefore doesn't necessarily believe in mystic powers even though faith in the Icons remains strong.
Since Mystics in Coriolis aren't a caste or a grouping, but only "random" individuals (that have other occupations already) that suddenly manifested powers in conjunction with the Emissaries of Xene.
In Coriolis there seems (to me, at least) to be a much more... devout... response - much more acceptance both for the mystics themselves and for "miracles" in general, since the overall reaction is subtle. Sure some fanatics have freaked out, but the rulebook doesn't make this a central theme when describing the setting.
Compare to how our world would lose it completely. In a warhammerian setting, they would "only" have burned at the stake since "everyone" already knows witches and daemons exist;). In a marvel setting, they would be experimented upon or sent to a school of gifted individuals ;)

Krönikören

Sun 28 Aug 2016, 00:49

In Coriolis there seems (to me, at least) to be a much more... devout... response - much more acceptance both for the mystics themselves and for "miracles" in general, since the overall reaction is subtle. Sure some fanatics have freaked out, but the rulebook doesn't make this a central theme when describing the setting.
Zapp, I think you got it wrong, I'm sorry to be a besserwisser! :)
Read page 10 in the Horizon book.
It's described how mystics are "hunted, lynched, murdered, just by suspicion of contamination you're in danger".
Also if you want to start of as a mystic you need to pick the concept of "Fugitive"...

At the same time, the Mystic powers are mentioned to be linked to the sub-faction "the searchers", where the powers seem to be more accepted.. Maybe it's not the powers itself but more the fear of not knowing where it comes from? (Eg. It's ok if a priest got healing hands but if it's "the common (wo)man" it must be witch craft!)

Umberto Octo

Sun 28 Aug 2016, 04:42

Read page 10 in the Horizon book.
It's described how mystics are "hunted, lynched, murdered, just by suspicion of contamination you're in danger".
Also if you want to start of as a mystic you need to pick the concept of "Fugitive"...
This now has my imaginative attention.
Insert sound of evil cackling here...  :evil:  :twisted:

Zapp

Sun 28 Aug 2016, 09:28

Ok, maybe I misremembered. I especially don't remember that you must be a Fugitive - perhaps that's new with Free League's edition...

Krönikören

Sun 28 Aug 2016, 16:53

Ok, maybe I misremembered. I especially don't remember that you must be a Fugitive - perhaps that's new with Free League's edition...
Now I had to dust off my old Coriolis (Järnringens version).. and you are correct, Fugitive was not a concept - you had "Mystic" and "Priest" if you wanted to start of with Mystic powers..

(I should probably add that in the new Coriolis, everyone can learn/be "blessed" with mystic powers in game!)

The reactions on Mystics in the old Coriolis also seem to be more in line with what you wrote. Lynchings and murders are mentioned, but then mostly by crazy religious sects. It's stated that the common (wo)man's reflections on the mystics is "that sometimes the Icons bless someone with powers"..

I personaly like Free League's take on this better.. but then I will be a GM and not a player...   :lol: