Jegergryte

Re: Typos/Errata in English Sample Chapters

Tue 11 Oct 2016, 11:28

P.S. I've always been a fan of the cosmopolitan two l's in "traveller". I hope that doesn't get Americanized.
Differences between US and UK English are strange, but often insignificant (apart expressions, slang and urban language). Americans tend to simplify, and write the way they speak. As a French, I learned UK English as a student, but with time, TV series, RPG books, internet, media and stuff like that, I tend to write more and more in US English (Color/Colour, Analyze/Analyse, Center/Centre, etc.), but there's always a few words that defy logic.

Travel is a typical exemple :
Traveler (US) / Traveller (UK) - but Enrolment (uk) / Enrollment (us) : what ?

And when we address the Imperial system, compared to pure logic beauty of the Metric system, we (much of the world, but especially the French) think that English are crazy. They like it hurts.
;)
It seems most of the typos have been pointed out, I'm still trying to find the ones that are not included in this thread. So, instead of being overly helpful or constructive, here's a comment on the language thing. Enjoy! 8-)
"Life is like a sewer. What you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
-Tom Lehrer
Make sure your brain is engaged before putting your mouth into gear.

baylox

Tue 11 Oct 2016, 16:02

Regarding astronics/astronomics, the Swedish version has a few of these language quirks that are intentional and would think that is the case in the English version as well. Personally, I think they add a bit of character to the game. :)
Titta vad jag gjort! / Things I've created:
Coriolis - talanger och referensmaterial
Symbaroum - Unsung Heroes of the Abomitorium
Ur Varselklotet/TftL - mysterier & spelböcker

Camillus

Wed 12 Oct 2016, 00:04

Spaceships and Star Travel: the Communication Delays box describes light as taking approximately two minutes to cross one au. This is incorrect, light takes just over eight minutes to cross one au so two way communication will take a minimum of 16 minutes per au, not the the four per au given in the box.

There is also the question of whether the abbreviation should be au rather than AU. "au" is recommended by the SI Brochure, although AU is still commonly used.

Colyavin

Wed 12 Oct 2016, 09:36

Hey,
Sorry if I missed post of someone before me but for the table 7.2 (chapter 7,page 10), I don't have the consequence of having 67-70.

Jegergryte

Wed 12 Oct 2016, 10:53

Hey,
Sorry if I missed post of someone before me but for the table 7.2 (chapter 7,page 10), I don't have the consequence of having 67-70.
That's because it's a D66 roll. Which cannot produce the numbers 0, 7, 8 or 9. Except when you jump blind, where the ten die, can result in 7 as it receives a +1 - so a 6 becomes 7.
"Life is like a sewer. What you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
-Tom Lehrer

Tomas
Site Admin

Wed 12 Oct 2016, 10:56

Thanks for keep spotting those typos. :)
Fria Ligan

Kaeam

Wed 12 Oct 2016, 17:14

Chapter 7 Spaceships and star travel:
  • Page 10 (TABLE 7.2 FAILED PORTAL JUMPS): "All results but the last two mean that the ship remains in the system it attempted to leave." Actually, according to the table all results but the last (71-76) mean that the ship remains in the system it attempted to leave.

Jegergryte

Fri 14 Oct 2016, 11:21

Disclaimer: I am picking up and learning these rules, so there may be stuff I've overlooked and missed. So if the below is incorrect, please direct my attention to where it should go.

I believe the Gunship, Azuk patrol ship model should have +1 manoeuvrability, if I understand the features right - and I haven't missed anything else - due to the Turbo Projector feature. I also believe the Flying circus model should have speed 3... again, all depending on me understanding the numbers and feature correctly.

The Scarab models also needs adjustment I think, the blockade runner should have speed 3, or speed 4 and manoeuvrability +3 ... (depending on whether or not it has one or two turbo projectors).

Note: the turbo projector can be bought twice, but considering the stats of the starships, it it unclear if the bonus is +1 to speed and manoeuvrability, or +1 to speed or manoeuvrability (per purchase.)

The Scarabs should also all have one higher Signature, due to being produced at the Cheleb shipyards ... correct?

The Oryx standard and express models need to either have +3 manoeuvrability, or speed 3. (Based on being class III, default speed = 2, default manoeuvrability = 0; add +1 manoevrability (and +1 signature) for Cheleb shipyards, and +1 manoevurability and speed for Turbo Projectors, or +2 to manoeuvrability and speed if purchased twice - should perhaps be noted in write up)...
-Tom Lehrer

Tomas
Site Admin

Fri 14 Oct 2016, 15:58

Thanks, we'll look into these!
Fria Ligan

Jegergryte

Thu 27 Oct 2016, 11:36

Translation still needed of all the "Tabell x.xx" headers it seems.
Table 6.3:
  • "Skrivdon" should be translated
  • "Språkenhet" should be "language unit" (it is correct in the text, not on the table)
  • "Transaktor" needs translation. It has different stats from the "Transactor" higher up on the table.
  • "Tagg" should be?
Table 6.12, Translation needed of:
  • Sensorrökgranat (it also appears twice on table - remove?)
  • Splittergranat (it also appears twice on table - remove?)
  • Spränggranat (it also appears twice on table - remove?)
  • Termalgranag (it also appears twice on table - remove?)
  • Termobarisk granat (it also appears twice on table - remove?)
Table 6.14
  • Stridssköld appears twice (Combat shield above)
Distances are all in miles, I believe I read somewhere they were supposed to be in kilometres? If I'm mistaken, ignore this.

Also, Personal Holograph (pp 10) states it has the same capabilities as the personal communicator (pp 9), a 10 mile range. This is in conflict with personal communicator description which states the range is "about 5 miles" ...
-Tom Lehrer