Umberto Octo
Topic Author

Typos/Errata in English Sample Chapters

Wed 03 Aug 2016, 18:14

A place to list things needing corrections in the offered sample chapters.

I've got a few already, I'll post in a bit... after coffee.
"Se til helvete å komme dere vekk. Det er ikke en bikkje! Det er en slags TING!
Det imiterer en bikkje. Det er ikke virkelig! Kom dere vekk, IDIOTER!"

Umberto Octo
Topic Author

Re: Typos/Errata in English Sample Chapters

Wed 03 Aug 2016, 18:25

Perhaps nit-picky:
"Dark between the Stars – the unspea-
kable, corrupting" (Ch. 1, pg 10: The Dark Between The Stars)
It might not fit because of characters allowed per line, but the hyphen is incorrectly placed

"closed their home system shut to all travel" (Ch. 1, pg. 13: The Emissaries—italics mine)
Maybe a translation redundancy in the closed/shut?

I had two others, but the markings I made in the pdf didn't save. :(
I'll find them again.

P.S. I've always been a fan of the cosmopolitan two l's in "traveller". I hope that doesn't get Americanized.

Vainamoinen

Wed 03 Aug 2016, 21:03

Two things, (1) they did say that the sample chapters weren't proofread and (2) we either make this a comprehensive list or it won't help at all. :)
So I'd say, I'll update this post with all mistakes we find, in order, and let's make it a test run for November... ? :)
  • "to close sth. shut" is a common English expression as far as I know, uhm, native speaker anyone? 
  • The hyphenation thing is an actual mistake according to my research

ERRATA – SAMPLE PAGES

CHAPTER 1: INTRODUCTION

Page 8
  • upper left: Not "the fate of the Third Horizon's" but "the fate of the Third Horizon"
  • upper right: Not "he decides what truths that lay behind the secrets you uncover" but "he decides what truths lie behind the secrets you uncover"
  • lower left: Not "explore the the game world" but "explore the game world"
  • lower left: Not "the game world Coriolis" but "the game world of Coriolis"
Page 9
  • Lower left: Not "Middle Eastern culture, rather" but "Middle Eastern culture rather" (no comma)
  • Lower right, middle: uses hyphens instead of dashes incorrectly twice
  • Lower right: Not "First-come" but "Firstcome" (consistency in terminology)
Page 10
  • Upper left: Not "unspea- /kable" but "unspeak- /able" (incorrect hyphenation)
  • Upper left: Not "play roughly role" but "play roughly the role"
(Inspirations infobox evidently not translated by native speaker)
  • Upper right, twice: Not "tv-series" but "TV series" (as far as I know)
  • Upper right: Not "to get in the right feeling" but maybe "to get a feeling for the setting" or  "to get in the right mood"
Factual nitpick note: The Firefly TV series, though ostensibly "cowboys in space", emphasizes on countless occasions that the Asian/Chinese culture has survived as well and remains very influential particularly in artistry and colloquial language.

Page 11
  • upper left: not "there is a bunch of other tools" but "there are a bunch of other tools"
  • upper right: double blank in "back of the book" betw. "back" and "of" (?)
  • upper right: not "if your are" but "if you are"
  • upper right: not "use these to to get an overview or your" but "use these to get an overview of your"
  • lower left, first line: incorrect quotation mark in front of "the Horizon", should be '66' instead of '99' (typography error)
  • lower left: please check if "radical" is the correct translation from the original Swedish
  • lower left, middle: uses hyphen instead of dash incorrectly once
Page 12
  • first paragraph: space/blank missing between "...the crew.The captain"
  • first paragraph: please check whether "captain family" instead of "captain's family" really is correct
  • second paragraph: not "First-come" but "Firstcome" (consistency)
  • second paragraph: "progressive" seems a needlessly politically charged word to me
  • third paragraph: not "many dwells" but "many dwell"
  • third paragraph: incorrect hyphen instead of dash
Page 13
  • left: not "albeit that" but just "albeit"
  • left: no semicolon after "the Council; the criminal..." but rather a colon: "the Council: the criminal..."
  • left: not "Xene's" but "Xene"
  • left: incorrect quotation mark in front of "sacrilege!", should be '66' instead of '99' (typography error)
  • left: not "what is the true agenda Emissaries?" but "what is the true agenda of the Emissaries?"
  • right: not "the intrigues surrounding the factions thickens" but "the intrigues surrounding the factions thicken"
  • right: not "phenomena" but "phenomenon"
  • right: not "said reserved" but "said to be reserved"
More to come, especially from the second sample chapter with all its hilarious "exemples"! :P

Coupe-jarret

Fri 05 Aug 2016, 08:45

P.S. I've always been a fan of the cosmopolitan two l's in "traveller". I hope that doesn't get Americanized.
Differences between US and UK English are strange, but often insignificant (apart expressions, slang and urban language). Americans tend to simplify, and write the way they speak. As a French, I learned UK English as a student, but with time, TV series, RPG books, internet, media and stuff like that, I tend to write more and more in US English (Color/Colour, Analyze/Analyse, Center/Centre, etc.), but there's always a few words that defy logic.

Travel is a typical exemple :
Traveler (US) / Traveller (UK) - but Enrolment (uk) / Enrollment (us) : what ?

And when we address the Imperial system, compared to pure logic beauty of the Metric system, we (much of the world, but especially the French) think that English are crazy. They like it hurts.
;)

Vainamoinen

Sat 06 Aug 2016, 20:27

All righty, and here's the rest. Don't expect the forest of changes from above, this longer chapter is in much better shape actually.

ERRATA – SAMPLE PAGES
Part Two

CHAPTER 3: SKILLS

Page 7
  • no comma between "Bahari" and "that"
Page 8
  • left: the 0 in the chosen font looks a lot like "o"
  • left, third to last line: Not "If your roll three..." but "If you roll three..."
  • right: Not "Exemple" but "Example"
Page 13
  • Twice: Not "Exemple" but "Example"
Page 14
  • bottom of page: Three times not "Inftiltration" but "Infiltration"
Page 15
  • left: not "Inftiltration" but "Infiltration"
  • right: the line "You get a –1 for each of the following factors" erroneously begins with a bullet point and has no colon at the end. 
And that's it for now, see you at the next sample chapter! :)

Vainamoinen

Wed 10 Aug 2016, 21:11

All right, I'm a bit disappointed with the collaboration here. Who's co-mistake hunting here?! 8-)

ERRATA – SAMPLE PAGES
Part Three

CHAPTER 5: COMBAT

General problem: Opposed to the previous chapters, chapter 5 uses the so called "em dash", which I find extremely jarring. And it's not even used consistently, as normal en dashes still appear throughout (like on page 16, left side or page 19, bottom left). If it by all means has to be the em dash, at least remove en dashes throughout.

Page 11
  • fourth paragraph ('Darkness') ends with two points instead of one.
Page 13
  • left, under header "Defending": Not "you must state the you" but "you must state that you"
Page 14
  • right middle, "Range modifiers": These would, in my opinion, look better as bullet points. 
Page 15
  • please check if "fully-automatic" is hyphenated; I think it isn't. May have to be corrected throughout the chapter.
Page 18
  • bottom left: not "can fie full-auto fire" but "can fire full auto fire" (?) or "can fire in fully automatic mode".
  • middle right: missing blank between "0MP" (in case the typesetter has done this on purpose to avoid "MP" slipping into the next line, apply significant scolding and write "drop to 0 MP permanently" instead of "permanently drop to 0 MP").
Page 19
  • bottom left, point missing after "i.e."
  • bottom left, incorrect use of "HPs" instead of "HP"
  • example on lower right: not "Sabah in sneaking" but "Sabah is sneaking"
  • example on lower right: "spa- /ceship" is incorrectly hypenated, only possible form is "space- /ship"
Page 22
  • critical result 21: "STUNNED FOR ONE TURN, THEN" is capitalized and in incorrect typeset.
  • critical result 22: line 'jumps up' after "then -2 to"
Page 24
  • example on left: not "on number" but "on the number"
Page 25
  • middle right: not "driving under normal circumstances require" but "driving under normal circumstances requires"
Page 26
  • middle right: example implies that a "missile" has a base damage of a single HP. That can't be right. :lol:

Umberto Octo
Topic Author

Wed 10 Aug 2016, 21:28

All right, I'm a bit disappointed with the collaboration here. Who's co-mistake hunting here?! 8-)
I'd love to dedicate more time to it this right now, but I've got deadlines for paying work that is, well... almost identical to doing this: proof-reading translations into English. If I don't make my deadlines, I don't have money to pay for my pledge. :D
And I'm a day behind due to thieves attempting to break into my storage unit on Monday morning. :x

Great job on your part! Catching the em-dash... that's worth a cardamon coffee on me at Wahib's.

Vainamoinen

Wed 10 Aug 2016, 21:46

So am I, more or less, it's just that I'm usually doing that crap in German. :P

Kiregor

Fri 12 Aug 2016, 15:36

An alternative translation for chapter 1 page 13 "the intrigues surrounding the factions thickens" could be  "the intrigue surrounding the factions thickens". This sounds better to me as a native speaker, but that might just be me.

Greg H

Tue 27 Sep 2016, 19:05

Two things, (1) they did say that the sample chapters weren't proofread and (2) we either make this a comprehensive list or it won't help at all. :)
So I'd say, I'll update this post with all mistakes we find, in order, and let's make it a test run for November... ? :)
  • "to close sth. shut" is a common English expression as far as I know, uhm, native speaker anyone? 
  • The hyphenation thing is an actual mistake according to my research

ERRATA – SAMPLE PAGES

CHAPTER 1: INTRODUCTION

Page 8
  • upper left: Not "the fate of the Third Horizon's" but "the fate of the Third Horizon"
  • upper right: Not "he decides what truths that lay behind the secrets you uncover" but "he decides what truths lie behind the secrets you uncover"
  • lower left: Not "explore the the game world" but "explore the game world"
  • lower left: Not "the game world Coriolis" but "the game world of Coriolis"
Page 9
  • Lower left: Not "Middle Eastern culture, rather" but "Middle Eastern culture rather" (no comma)
  • Lower right, middle: uses hyphens instead of dashes incorrectly twice
  • Lower right: Not "First-come" but "Firstcome" (consistency in terminology)
Page 10
  • Upper left: Not "unspea- /kable" but "unspeak- /able" (incorrect hyphenation)
  • Upper left: Not "play roughly role" but "play roughly the role"
(Inspirations infobox evidently not translated by native speaker)
  • Upper right, twice: Not "tv-series" but "TV series" (as far as I know)
  • Upper right: Not "to get in the right feeling" but maybe "to get a feeling for the setting" or  "to get in the right mood"
Factual nitpick note: The Firefly TV series, though ostensibly "cowboys in space", emphasizes on countless occasions that the Asian/Chinese culture has survived as well and remains very influential particularly in artistry and colloquial language.

Page 11
  • upper left: not "there is a bunch of other tools" but "there are a bunch of other tools"
  • upper right: double blank in "back of the book" betw. "back" and "of" (?)
  • upper right: not "if your are" but "if you are"
  • upper right: not "use these to to get an overview or your" but "use these to get an overview of your"
  • lower left, first line: incorrect quotation mark in front of "the Horizon", should be '66' instead of '99' (typography error)
  • lower left: please check if "radical" is the correct translation from the original Swedish
  • lower left, middle: uses hyphen instead of dash incorrectly once
Page 12
  • first paragraph: space/blank missing between "...the crew.The captain"
  • first paragraph: please check whether "captain family" instead of "captain's family" really is correct
  • second paragraph: not "First-come" but "Firstcome" (consistency)
  • second paragraph: "progressive" seems a needlessly politically charged word to me
  • third paragraph: not "many dwells" but "many dwell"
  • third paragraph: incorrect hyphen instead of dash
Page 13
  • left: not "albeit that" but just "albeit"
  • left: no semicolon after "the Council; the criminal..." but rather a colon: "the Council: the criminal..."
  • left: not "Xene's" but "Xene"
  • left: incorrect quotation mark in front of "sacrilege!", should be '66' instead of '99' (typography error)
  • left: not "what is the true agenda Emissaries?" but "what is the true agenda of the Emissaries?"
  • right: not "the intrigues surrounding the factions thickens" but "the intrigues surrounding the factions thicken"
  • right: not "phenomena" but "phenomenon"
  • right: not "said reserved" but "said to be reserved"
More to come, especially from the second sample chapter with all its hilarious "exemples"! :P

...I stand in naked awe of thine proofreading power...
“He who does not travel does not know the value of men.” – Moorish proverb