kolarius
Topic Author

"Few, if any, today still remember the First or Second Horizons." Really?

Fri 01 Dec 2017, 01:29

How come that in the world of the Third Horizon, Al-Ardha is a long-lost memory?
There were several hundred thousand people from Terra in cryosleep on the Zenith.
Did they lose their memories during their thousand-year long slumber?
If not, they should have had relatively recent memories of Earth, the planet of their youth.
Some of those might even be around in the present day.
Also, there should be some written records left.. people had a lot of time to write down their stories after they woke up.
Just some food for thought.

Peter

The1TrueFredrix

Re: "Few, if any, today still remember the First or Second Horizons." Really?

Sat 03 Feb 2018, 07:12

I understand Zenith and Nadir to be generation vessels, ie no cryosleep. That said, I haven’t checked in the core book.
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Doctor KoT

Sat 03 Feb 2018, 19:48

I understand Zenith and Nadir to be generation vessels, ie no cryosleep. That said, I haven’t checked in the core book.
Cryosleep for the colonists and generation vessel for the crew.

LeDash

Tue 13 Feb 2018, 02:25

It is my understanding that the Zenith and Nadir started their journey a few years before the discovery of the first Gate. I couldn't cite any source, but I remember that info.

Doctor KoT

Wed 14 Feb 2018, 19:40

It is my understanding that the Zenith and Nadir started their journey a few years before the discovery of the first Gate. I couldn't cite any source, but I remember that info.
A hundred years actually. At least timeline in Atlas Compendium says that.

Xavi

Thu 08 Mar 2018, 17:51

The Zenith people never were in the Horizons, only Earth. 

With 65-ish years since the end of the war, people alive in the horizon will not have experienced it first hand. HOWEVER, there are bound to be recordings of the war and the other Horizons. I am planning on solving it by having the war happen 150 years ago, not 60, and that A LOT of effort was put forward to erase records of the other horizons by the powers that be. Iconoclasm et al. Some pockets of remembrance will remain (hello, explorer crews) but in general the other Horizons start to be a fuzzy memory in old story books read by just a few people. It makes the rtech decline in some areas also more believable for us. 

Kosta
Site Admin

Thu 08 Mar 2018, 22:58

How come that in the world of the Third Horizon, Al-Ardha is a long-lost memory?
There were several hundred thousand people from Terra in cryosleep on the Zenith.
Did they lose their memories during their thousand-year long slumber?
If not, they should have had relatively recent memories of Earth, the planet of their youth.
Some of those might even be around in the present day.
Also, there should be some written records left.. people had a lot of time to write down their stories after they woke up.
Just some food for thought.

Peter
Sorry about the late answer, but here it comes at last.

The Zenith and Nadir were both generation ships and cryo-sleep ships. About a hundred thousand souls embarked on each vessel aimed at he big red star, known as Dabaran in The Third Horizon (Aldebaran to us in reality).

The trip took aproximately 1 000 years. During that time the would be colonist were fast asleep in their cryo caskets using a now partly forgotten tech (not exactly the same as in stasis pods used for portal jumps). Tech that hadn’t been perfected  and had some severe side effect. A lot of colonist died from the prolonged cry sleep, some went mad but almost all hade some sort of memory damage. During the wake up and strife between the Captain families (later becoming The Zenithian Hegemony) and the helmsmen families and other groups - a lot of colonist were lost and even more probably suffered memory damage of the  speeded up wake-up process.

But what about the captain families, helmsmen families and all the other custodians of the ship. They were awake during  the trip and most of them lived their whole lives during the voyage.

Rumor has it that some of the upper echelons of the Quassars (rulers of The Zenithian Hegemony) and The Draconites remember long lost Al-Ardha - but they keep the information to themselves. 

Of course there are some zenithians who claim to remember Al-Ardha, but their stories diverge, from vast sunny deserts to magnificent cities with sky towers reaching to the skies. Most people don’t believe them as they often are stricken with some sort of lunacy.

Also, a lot of the people of The Third Horizon claim to be or call themselves zenithians, far more than the 100 000 or so to make the trip -  that is just a cultural phenomenon - a way to describe yourself as modern and dissociate yourself from your Firstcome background.
Hope that answers your question :)
Fria Ligan